Speling, Gramer, and juts bad writting: A rant.

Jaemie

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jaemierobinson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
NEED HELP TO DICICED

I wanna get a nikon d3200 duty idk if I should is it a good camara I'm moving from a coolpox p500

you fail before sucsess

For many people, English is not their first language. For others, dyslexia and other issues may present challenges. I understand we all have differences in education. Some things cannot be helped, and that's okay.

But, then there is the post above. It's recent and I'm not identifying the poster; it doesn't matter who wrote it or what it was about. What does matter is how ubiquitous such poor writing is on this forum. We have a spell checker that tells you when a word is misspelled. There is Google. There is the whole goddamm internet! Is it so difficult to use these resources? I even thought this post might be a troll, but it's just too horrible.

And how does one screw up his/her own signature? That takes time and thought and it appears below every post. "You fail before sucsess" You don't say!

:facepalm:

And Writing only has 1 T

Wouldn't you consider she chose the spelling in the heading on purpose?

*tries to find that online guide to irony, sarcasm and other stylistic devices*

Let it go. It annoys the hell out of me to but you aren't going to get anyone to change. People are who they are and if they are too lazy to use a spell checker then complaining won't help. Just ignore it and move on.

Probably some is due to predictive spelling or phone use. I know I am guilty of that sometiems

Thank you! I actually saw that post earlier but didn't even click on it after reading the title. This is one of the things about the internet that really annoys me but what can you do? At least he/she actually spelled out the word "you". :lol:

That post was from someone from another country.

We all miss use, or misspell words here and there.
My peeve comes from professed writers, published writers even, who use words like "grantid" instead of "granted" repeatedly.
It's kind of a blow to their credibility.

ALOT also makes me cringe.

But many still confuse there, their, and they're, and you and you're. Whatchagonnado?

I am an editor by vocation, so I feel your pain. However, I discovered long, long ago that my Grammar Police badge simply doesn't command the authority that I think it should. ;)

It is not just THIS forum; the internet is a haven for editorial laziness and ignorance. But we--the few, the educated, the grammar police--are simply not likely to change this.

What is way more disheartening to me is to see the way our youth write these days, and what English teachers are allowing!
I blame it all on the elimination of sentence diagramming in our schools. :lol:

Anyway, here's what I do:
--If I think there is any chance that English is not their first language, or they have some sort of disability, I overlook it.
--If I think perhaps they are posting from their phone, I overlook it (but think to myself, self--this is why one should not post comments from one's phone).
--If I think it is an unusually egregious misuse of the language, AND I think that the individual is usually more editorially precise, then I might point out the error.
--If I find the error particularly humorous, then I put my "snarky" hat on and have fun with it.
--If I think the poster is just a sloppy, lazy, editorial ignoramus then I also assume that they will not care nor change their ways if I point out their errors, so I simply ignore them.

And finally:
--I try to remember that in a forum such as this, grammar need not be as precise or accurate as it should be for a paper. This is a relaxed, casual atmosphere and people are going to type the way they might talk to each other. I do the same thing, using ellipses and run-on sentences and phrases that I would NEVER use in writing.
--I also try to remember that if you choose to point out other people's misuse of the English language, you are putting a target on your back to get attacked the next time YOU make a mistake.

Just grit your teeth and IGNORE the OP. And be thankful that YOUR momma raised you better. :lol:

--I also try to remember that if you choose to point out other people's misuse of the English language, you are putting a target on your back to get attacked the next time YOU make a mistake.

THIS!

Non-native speakers (like myself ;) ) should be "allowed" a higher failure rate regarding language. However, as stated above, in the given example www and mobile phone shortcode plus youngster-language result in maximum annoyance.

Actually, for me this is simply hard to read sometimes.

Alex, I have found that non native speakers tend to use the language better than native speakers.

My issue is those who have been taught 'proper English', yet choose to be lazy bums and post like they're text-messaging their girlfriend.

Grammar, capitalization, punctuation, paragraphs, sentence structure, spelling.... all get tossed out the window like the baby's bathwater.

Non-native speakers (like myself ;) ) should be "allowed" a higher failure rate regarding language. However, as stated above, in the given example www and mobile phone shortcode plus youngster-language result in maximum annoyance.

Actually, for me this is simply hard to read sometimes.
Personally I wish most Americans spelled and wrote as well as you do.

It seems to me that in many cases non-native speakers tend to be more careful with their grammar and spelling so there is no excuse for those of us to whom it is a native language. I've seen some, particularly on another forum, that I honestly could not read. It wasn't that they were HARD to read, I honestly could not understand what they were saying. It is embarrassing to admit that some of these people live in the same country as I do and had the same educational opportunities as I did.

Most reactions

Back