Speling, Gramer, and juts bad writting: A rant.

I don't worry about it too much. It is annoying to me, but (depending on the post) sometimes it doesn't bother me as much. Other times I simply ignore the post and move on.

It doesn't really matter much though. These people will never be 'competing' with me for anything, and I can't make them change.

What I think is funny as hell - and I have actually seen it - is when these people write their résumés. I'll tell you, that's some good reading there. :lmao:

(I'm talking about the people who do it out of laziness. Text-speak and such.)

Last edited:
--I also try to remember that if you choose to point out other people's misuse of the English language, you are putting a target on your back to get attacked the next time YOU make a mistake.

I encourage people to correct my language. If I make a mistake, by all means please tell me.

My oldest kid likes to text message as a main form of communication. I have had to take some pretty drastic measures to make sure he is using correct grammar, and spelling out his words.

There was a time when all of his messages looked like this "Ru cmg hme erly 2day? can u get sda?" Drove me up the wall.

A bit of an aside, but I had to comment on the text messaging.

My kids, of their own accord, absolutely REFUSE to use many of the texting abbreviations, like "u." As my youngest says, "Seriously, if you don't have time to type the extra TWO letters, why are you even bothering?"
So, their friends always thought they were kinda weird, sending texts with complete sentences and punctuation. But then, they were raised by a Grammar Nerd and they both have absolutely enormous vocabularies.

I once got a text message from my eldest with the word "pontificate" in it. :lol: Really?!? Who uses a word like that in a TEXT message?? Well, besides MY children...

Special thanks goes out to HughGuessWho, for "Like" #3000.

:wav::smileys::wav:

:biglaugh:

I really didn't even WANT to press the "like" for this post...but I just had to. :lol:
3,000+ likes. I gotta start paying people more to "like" me.

So, I have a question.

How many people here judge others by their writing skills?
You know, if it looks like an idiot...
I'm afraid that I do to a certain extent. I'm willing to change that judgement as I learn more about them, but as a first impression poor writing skills on a public forum do give a poor impression.

I agree. For better or for worse, that first post can leave a memorable impression.

SCraig said:
Let it go. It annoys the hell out of me to but you aren't going to get anyone to change. People are who they are and if they are too lazy to use a spell checker then complaining won't help. Just ignore it and move on.

OMG textspeak is taking over!!. I admit when I'm drunk and post or email I mess up a few...many times. But I also have the common sense to either edit or apologize for my bad grammar.

So, I have a question.

How many people here judge others by their writing skills?
You know, if it looks like an idiot...
Most people judge others by their writing skills, either consciously, or unconsciously. (I had to visit Bing to check the spelling of consciously).

I make mistakes writing posts, an hate it when I do. But, as may of you know, I have no problem being corrected, or taking someone else to task for apparently just lazy practices like using all lower case, or using .....

Mistakes are in fact learning opportunities, and though there is no doubt the goal is to minimize the frequency of making mistakes, mistakes nonetheless have positive value.

Bitter Jeweler said:
That post was from someone from another country.

We all miss use, or misspell words here and there.
My peeve comes from professed writers, published writers even, who use words like "grantid" instead of "granted" repeatedly.
It's kind of a blow to their credibility.

ALOT also makes me cringe.

But many still confuse there, their, and they're, and you and you're. Whatchagonnado?

***ettaboutit!

self--this is why one should not post comments from one's phone

This got me!:lol: My phone is strictly for reading, not posting.

As far as texting goes, being a young professional, I feel that I get judged by the older folks at work as being just some kid. Sending sloppy texts only serves to reinforce that belief.

IByte said:
***ettaboutit!

I've been bleeped? All I said was fogettaboutit! ><

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never understood these types of posts...:scratch: There are people from all over the world that post on here and English is not their first language.

As I stated in my first post:

For many people, English is not their first language. For others, dyslexia and other issues may present challenges. I understand we all have differences in education. Some things cannot be helped, and that's okay.

Besides, as others have pointed out, people for whom English is a second language generally write better than native English speakers. Often, much better.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and not get my panties in a bunch.

My panties aren't in a bunch, today. :) June 22nd is No Panties Day! https://www.facebook.com/events/285519751547104/

Most reactions

Back