Spent all weekend shooting Gymnastics

jlykins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jlykinsphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was contacted by the photography company that was doing a national gymnastics competition here in Cincinnati this weekend to shoot for them. Myself and 6 other photogs shot roughly 100,000 photos in three days. Here are a few that I brought home with me to keep and add to my collection of work. Please excuse the noise. We were shooting ISO1600 to be able to keep up with the gymnists. Thanks for looking!

DSC_8412.jpg

DSC_8031.jpg

DSC_7973.jpg

DSC_1981.jpg

DSC_1877.jpg

DSC_1977.jpg

DSC_0231.jpg

DSC_5608.jpg

Wow, dude, you nailed it!! I was going to joke that you got some pics of amazing sexual positions, but with the ages of the athletes, I decided to refrain.. Good focus, good motion stop.. Nice pics.

Good refrain. And thanks on the comments! There was a highschool cheer competition going on at the same time as the gymnastics, man what I wouldn't give to be 17 again...

Good refrain. And thanks on the comments! There was a highschool cheer competition going on at the same time as the gymnastics, man what I wouldn't give to be 17 again...

Oh, I hear you.. So tell me.. How did you do it? With the focus being the longest part of the capture, how do you set you camera up to lock the frame as you see it?

Wow, dude, you nailed it!! I was going to joke that you got some pics of amazing sexual positions, but with the ages of the athletes, I decided to refrain.. Good focus, good motion stop.. Nice pics.

Yyyyea, I'd stay away from that...

These rock! Maybe a faster shutter on 4, and a larger crop on the second to last (girl with hands on bar...hands and bar cut off) but other than that they are awesome, you got some great action shots! Great lighting too.

Oh, I hear you.. So tell me.. How did you do it? With the focus being the longest part of the capture, how do you set you camera up to lock the frame as you see it?
The key was to know what they were going to do. These were the level 10 girls which from what I was told is the last stop before olympic tryouts. Anyway, I had been shooting the lower level girls all weekend and by their body movements I could tell what they were about to do so I would lock the focus on them and shoot a 12 shot burst as they were going through the move. I had my battery grip on my d300 so I was able to do 8fps. It helped a lot. It was funny though, because I was shooting so fast, when I went back to look at the shots from the series, you could see the lights flickering. lol

Yyyyea, I'd stay away from that...

These rock! Maybe a faster shutter on 4, and a larger crop on the second to last (girl with hands on bar...hands and bar cut off) but other than that they are awesome, you got some great action shots! Great lighting too.

I was at the absolute fastest shutterspeed I could go without raising the ISO more. I was shooting ISO1600 at f/2.8 around 1/300 sec.

I think you did an awesome job. If I were the parents I would definitely purchase the ones with my kid in it.

Very great captures! You should feel good about yourself after these.

Derrick

Most reactions

New Topics

Back