Splash of Goodness

metatrox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Took some more photos of some CocaCola bottles my wife has collected for her kitchen theme. Did some heavy photoshop work of course but thought id share.

CokeBottle2s.jpg

Click for larger version http://www.weebly.com/uploads/2/7/8...s/496091/files/CokeBottle2s.jpg?1318391185208

Here is the original shot,
CokeBottle2o.jpg

*****UPDATE BASED ON COMMENTS*****
CokeBottle2s.jpg

Full size Here http://metatrox.net/CokeBottle2s.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome shop work. This could easily make a billboard banner.

If I had to make one critique, it would be that maybe the coke in the bottles is too light. The stuff is close to being black (but I can see that your color choice adds more vibrancy to the shot).

Why don't you fill the bottles with real coke? It looks a little strange, this way.
But besides that, the edit is pretty cool. :thumbup:

It looks really nice, but I think you should sharpen the bottles, they don't seem to look right. If possible, clone out the visible line on the bottom. You should also make the vignette less hard. And the reason it looks fake is because of the different lighting of the bottle and the water. I advise taking your own splashing shot with the same lighting as your bottle or else it won't look real.

Nice work. Something on your backdrop though, just to the left of the tall bottle, near the top.

Fishpaste said:

If I had to make one critique, it would be that maybe the coke in the bottles is too light. The stuff is close to being black (but I can see that your color choice adds more vibrancy to the shot).
Yeah for realism it should be darker. I think a bit lighter give vibrance as you said. I do wish I could get the splash stuff darker.

LizardKing said:
Why don't you fill the bottles with real coke? It looks a little strange, this way.
Well I didn't have any coke, mostly why. Lol thanks though.

EchoingWhisper said:
It looks really nice, but I think you should sharpen the bottles, they don't seem to look right. If possible, clone out the visible line on the bottom. You should also make the vignette less hard. And the reason it looks fake is because of the different lighting of the bottle and the water. I advise taking your own splashing shot with the same lighting as your bottle or else it won't look real.
Hmmm I did sharpen them up quite a bit. I don't see the line you speak of. It's not based completely on realism as of course fluid is shooting out. Lol I would love to do my own splashes but I don't have strobes just continuous lights.

KenC said:
Nice work. Something on your backdrop though, just to the left of the tall bottle, near the top.
A little brown spot? Not sure what you seeing.

Fishpaste said:

Yeah for realism it should be darker. I think a bit lighter give vibrance as you said. I do wish I could get the splash stuff darker.

LizardKing said:
Well I didn't have any coke, mostly why. Lol thanks though.

EchoingWhisper said:
Hmmm I did sharpen them up quite a bit. I don't see the line you speak of. It's not based completely on realism as of course fluid is shooting out. Lol I would love to do my own splashes but I don't have strobes just continuous lights.

KenC said:

Not really a line, but the contrast is really large.

Before:
cokebottle2s.jpg

After:
unled1imv.jpg

Ok I'll check that when I get home. I can't see it on my iPhone and I'm not sure my iMac is calibrated to see that either. Lol

KenC said:

A small area that is darker than its surroundings (although I don't see brown or any other color difference. It's more or less vertical and just above the line of the other bottles.

I think this looks great, I really love the sparkly light effect too.. adds a nice touch :D

KenC said:

A small area that is darker than its surroundings (although I don't see brown or any other color difference. It's more or less vertical and just above the line of the other bottles.
Ok I see what you mean based on what echoingwhisper pointed out. Looks like an imperfection in my backdrop. Ill clone that out.

I think this looks great, I really love the sparkly light effect too.. adds a nice touch :D
Thank you! I wanted to add a touch of the typical "CocaCola magic" feel to it.

The spot he was talking about is this -

Before:
cokebottle2o.jpg

After:
cokebottle2o2.jpg

Thanks! Ill rid of that smudge LOL

I would love to ask for a run-down on how you created that in PS, but I'm sure it would take a while. Can you point me in the right direction though? this is definitely something I'd like to learn.

I would love to ask for a run-down on how you created that in PS, but I'm sure it would take a while. Can you point me in the right direction though? this is definitely something I'd like to learn.

1. Get some pictures - Bottles, droplets, splashes, bubbles, textures (optional)
2. Get some brushes - Splashes, droplets, textures, bubbles, sparkles, basic brushes
3. Place your pictures the way you want (the splash should always be on the top layer)
4. Correct the white balance and brightness
5. Clone away some reflections, imperfections etc
6. Add your own lighting to make the pictures look more real
7. Fill it with coke, your choice
8. Add some droplets and bubbles
9. Sharpen the pictures that are less sharp or blur the pictures that are too sharp
10. Use the pen tool to select the bottles
11. Inverse
12. Use the line tool to create a path in the middle
13. Set your brushes (basic brushes) to jitter the way you like
14. Stroke path
15. Set your brushes (sparkle brushes) to jitter the way you like
16. Stroke path
17. Use the pen tool to create a path around the splashes
18. Set your brushes (basic brushes) to jitter the way you like
19. Stroke path
20. Set your brushes (sparkle brushes) to jitter the way you like
21. Stroke path
22. Add some sparkles anywhere
23. Brush on some textures/Blend in some texture using overlay mode
24. Check for imperfections, ugliness, weirdness and fakeness and correct it
25. Add a vignette just above the background layer (the bottles)
26. Smoothen your vignette
27. Add a watermark
28. BRAG.

I updated the image and added it in the first post. Tried to clean up the few things that were mentioned. Also adjusted the splash a bit and darkened the coke some.

Check out EchoingWHisper's post above. He did a fairly good job of explaining the basic process.

1. Get some pictures - Bottles, droplets, splashes, bubbles, textures (optional)
2. Get some brushes - Splashes, droplets, textures, bubbles, sparkles, basic brushes
3. Place your pictures the way you want (the splash should always be on the top layer)
4. Correct the white balance and brightness
5. Clone away some reflections, imperfections etc
6. Add your own lighting to make the pictures look more real
7. Fill it with coke, your choice
8. Add some droplets and bubbles
9. Sharpen the pictures that are less sharp or blur the pictures that are too sharp
10. Use the pen tool to select the bottles
11. Inverse
12. Use the line tool to create a path in the middle
13. Set your brushes (basic brushes) to jitter the way you like
14. Stroke path
15. Set your brushes (sparkle brushes) to jitter the way you like
16. Stroke path
17. Use the pen tool to create a path around the splashes
18. Set your brushes (basic brushes) to jitter the way you like
19. Stroke path
20. Set your brushes (sparkle brushes) to jitter the way you like
21. Stroke path
22. Add some sparkles anywhere
23. Brush on some textures/Blend in some texture using overlay mode
24. Check for imperfections, ugliness, weirdness and fakeness and correct it
25. Add a vignette just above the background layer (the bottles)
26. Smoothen your vignette
27. Add a watermark
28. BRAG.

Pretty good! I especially like step #28 LOL. One thing i did differently was the sparkles i just used freehand brush strokes with a stagger. No paths. No pen tool either.

Most reactions

Back