Spontaneous portraits

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This_discussion on having to take photos of people (for photojournalistic reasons) who do not want their photo taken and therefore behave in oddest fashions which will definitely lead to getting unflattering photos taken in the end made me think of these few photos that I also took during last weekend's swim meet, and to me they are some fine examples of how nice photos can turn out if the subjects don't put up a fight with the camera, but just let things happen (or even pose a little). These three examples were no "sniper pics", though, of course, I also took many a portrait while the photographed persons did NOT realise they were being photographed in that moment. (On events such as this one, I make it my task not to photograph them in unflattering poses, ever, and if it should happen their photo doesn't show them at their best, it won't get published or even goes into the bin).

Torben

0477.jpg

Andreas (not my husband! Another Andreas! There are many Andreases around! ;))
1441.jpg

Alexander
1069.jpg

Yes. He wanted to be in "The Thinker"-pose :D.

Mind you, none of these were planned portrait photography. I had my camera, no more, and my main task was to cover that swim meet, not to take people's portraits. But I did that, too, when the situation arose, because people photography is great fun! :D

Were they cropped? We don't know these people, so it might have been more interesting if you included some of the environment. Either way, they're nice and sharp.

No, neither of these three was cropped.
The environment is included in the entire series.
I covered a whole swim meet and most photos show swimming people or swim judges at work or swimmers getting prepared for their runs or talking to their coaches afterwards etc.
I'm only showing these in reply to the discussion I talk about (and to which I put up the link, too).

But some info is this that Torben and I had talked about people photography and how silly you often look when you sort of "fight against" having your photo taken. So when he noticed my camera was pointed at him, he did not put up ANY fight at all.

Andreas, the swim judge, has eyes the colour of the pool. I tried to take his pic with the pool as background earlier, but realised it had gone wrong. So I asked him, could we repeat it. And he agreed.

Also Alexander's "The Thinker" pose had not worked out the day before (too little light, thick black clouds in the sky, long exposure, camera shake ...), so he quite willingly (and jokingly) put up his "The Thinker" pose once more on sunny Sunday.

That's the entire story.
Basically these are snapshots...!

I remember for swim meets it was always fun to see the pictures of action shots in BW. The muscle ton and the whole body while in motion just looked so much better in BW then color. ok done going off a tangent and love #3 and #2 the best:)great job

I like the photos. I always envied swimmers. I always wanted to have the swimmer's physique and pick up lots of women by showing off my muscles. But when I get in the water I swim in a manner which resembles an overweight dog going after a stick. Oh well... :)

BTW, it is nice to see some candid shots which are good. Mine seem to never be this good. I always end up getting people when they look like someone asked them a really difficult question or something.

Like I was saying: two of these were "arranged" (I asked them "Can I take your photo again?" first), and the first one of Torben was so he did notice me but tried not to put up a fight, just listened to his music and kept dreaming on.

If you're interested in some of my candid photos of the swimmers, just ask. There are hundreds to choose from :greenpbl: :D.

are Torben and Andreas related? they look similar, maybe it's the eyes...

No, they are absolutely unrelated. :D And I think Torben's eyes are more towards green, while Andreas's eyes are the most "swimmingpoolblue" as I have ever seen (with this dark hair, too!). :D

watch the backgrounds, even though the dof is shallow, the beams coming out of their heads are a little distracting. Personally I like the last one (the blonde kid) the best, even though its not quite as sharp as the others

Most reactions

Back