Sport photography equipment

BLD_007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do the pros use for the NFL/MLB? One of my fraternity brothers has an Uncle who shoots for the local MLB team. He said I could call his Uncle and ask to tag along to a game. I have a Cannon 50d with a 70-200mm lens. Will that work for a game or should I not even bother asking? I really want to go but if I have crappy gear, I don't want to be showed up with someones 500mm

any adivce on what I should but for pro-sports?

It depends entirely on the sport, I would imagine the NFL and MLB would require longer lenses, perhaps in the 400mm range? If you were shooting basketball then i'd imagine 70-300mm range would apply.
Of course this depends on where you are situated and what you are trying to capture. I have no expierience to back these claims up however so i'm curious what other people say.

I would buy a 7D.

Not because you need to, but because you know you really want to.

If you've already got a 70-200, pick up a 2X teleconverter. Transforms the lens to a 140-400mm (though, at the expense of 2 stops; making its max f/5.6). As long as the game is in daylight, this shouldnt be an issue. That way you have an inexpensive alternative to getting a huge prime lens or being stuck with "just" 200mm. Though, with the 50D, you get an effective "320mm" anyway. So if you don't need someone's body to take up the entire frame, you should be fine shooting with what you already have.

I agree with InTempus. I bought one and it rocks for sports photography. Now I want a bigger lens. :) I saw a 300mm F4 on craigslist. Tempting.....

I agree with InTempus. I bought one and it rocks for sports photography. Now I want a bigger lens. :) I saw a 300mm F4 on craigslist. Tempting.....

Don't really have the money, I just replaced all my equipment because it was stolen but insurance covered most of it. I wish I had the money for the 7d but I didn't =(

If you've already got a 70-200, pick up a 2X teleconverter. Transforms the lens to a 140-400mm (though, at the expense of 2 stops; making its max f/5.6). As long as the game is in daylight, this shouldnt be an issue. That way you have an inexpensive alternative to getting a huge prime lens or being stuck with "just" 200mm. Though, with the 50D, you get an effective "320mm" anyway. So if you don't need someone's body to take up the entire frame, you should be fine shooting with what you already have.
how does my 50d= 320mm ?

how does my 50d= 320mm ?

It has a 1.6x crop sensor. The mm ratings on lenses are referenced against full-frame 35mm-sized sensors. So a 200mm lens on a 1.6 crop sensor would have the same field of view as a 320mm lens on a full framed camera. Depth of field, compression, and other focal-length aspects don't change though, just field of view: how much you see.

A good example is like how a 17-85mm lens on a 1.6 crop camera has about the same field of view as the 28-135mm lens on a full frame camera.

Here's a pro sports photog showingwhat he uses.

part 1

part2

part 3

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info.

A co-worker of mine is blogging as he learns to do sports photography. You may find his info useful too.

Blogs - The Gunnersons

It's just starting up but maybe it will help.

Most reactions

Back