Sports flash setups

Jakefreese

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I have read the tutorials, and searched and searched, and come up with nothing definite enough to make a decision on what to do.

I show reined cowhorses and between my shows and when the pro's are showing I like to take pictures of the action. There are alot of covered and indoor arenas 100x200' 150x300' The lighting at most of the arenas is not enough for no flash. What would an affordable flash setup be for my Canon elan 7e, and hopefully soon a Canon DSLR. I see the photographers at the larger shows and they seem to setup a couple heatlamp fixtures from the local ranch supply with the flash bulbs in them and run a remote trigger. Since I am just running around with the camera having a flash on the camera would be best, but I do have some places where I know I can setup a off camera flash. I just have no idea what to do.....

It sounds to me like you're describing a remote strobe set-up. The pros will check out the venue before hand, and install one or more strobes in the overhead to provide illumination in the area they plan to shoot. There's no real 'affordable' here. This is high-end gear and each strobe will run between $500 - 1500. Triggers can cost $300 each! The most affordable route for you will be to get a fast lens for your DSLR - I would suggest a 70-200 f2.8. These aren't cheap either, but they're cheaper and more portable than the flash set-ups you're describing. Expect to spend $2200 for new or $1200 - 1600 used.

Here is what you will need to get started:
4 of these: Photogenic Professional Lighting Equipment - PL1000DRC
4 of these: Photogenic Professional Lighting Equipment - PL16R
A couple of these: Photogenic Professional Lighting Equipment - Master<br> Rail - Suspension Rails Choose the length you need.

All the mounting components for the rails and the monoheads: Photogenic Professional Lighting Equipment - Master<br> Rail - Learn More

5 of these:Pocketwizard® - Wireless transmitters and receivers

Misc safety cables, electrical wiring and one of these for ease of setup: JLG 2646ES Scissor Lift Electric Cap1000Lb

And lets not forget an insurance policy for at least a couple of million dollars or more just in case something comes loose an bonks a horse or rider on the head.

Or you could check out these links. :mrgreen:
Strobist
http://www.imaginginfo.com/print/Studio-Photography/Shooting-Indoor-Sporting-Events/3$3825

A couple of good strobe units properly placed at low power can give you the fill light you need to allow you to get the shots you want. Strobist is an excellent resource on getting started. Good luck.

Thanks for the info and links!! That clears it up some, yeah going big setup is not gonna happen. The setup I saw at one of the last shows seemed so simple a couple pocket wizards and the heat lamp sockets and screw in strobes. I may be picking up a 40D soon, so I am hoping it will do better in the lower lighting.

Thanks!!

It doesn't take "that much" flash power to light up a horse arena...you can do it with Vivitar 285HV flash units mounted up in the stands,and triggered remotely...use ISO 800 to 1,000 and you can easily pull f/7.1 no problem. You'll need good light stands and or clamps. The Strobist web site will show you how this can be done. Total price is going to be around $240 for three flashes. My power solution is the Quantum Battery 1, which has two outlets, so each Battery 1 can power two 285HV's from one mounting location.

"Most" horse arenas I have been to are rather older, wooden structures with plenty of spare,empty seat areas around halfway up, where one could easily set up light stands; Texas might have newer venues, with good round-pipe railings where Manfrotto clamps might be more easily be deployed...where I live, the horse arenas are almost all wooden...very little in the way of railings in the balcony areas, so pipe-mounting types of grip stuff doesn't work very well, whereas in most indoor sports arenas, the balconies all use round-pipe railings, where the Manfrotto clamps are perfect for speedlight mounting.

thanks Derrel,

the 3 closest arenas to me are newer, fairly well lit, two of them are all metal buildings which reflect a good amount of light. The will rogers complex has strobes built in and I ride with there event coordinator and he said all you need there is a pocket wizard, and I could use it if there is not a pro there. I have been reading alot on the strobist site. Brain is about on overload! Thanks again for the info I am going to look into the gear you mentioned.

thanks Derrel,

the 3 closest arenas to me are newer, fairly well lit, two of them are all metal buildings which reflect a good amount of light. The will rogers complex has strobes built in and I ride with there event coordinator and he said all you need there is a pocket wizard, and I could use it if there is not a pro there. I have been reading alot on the strobist site. Brain is about on overload! Thanks again for the info I am going to look into the gear you mentioned.

You would be well served to get a PocketWizard Multimax for sports shooting. The increased number of channels can be very handy when shooting in venues.

Most reactions

Back