Sports Photography

Well is IS necessary or not? I really like shooting sports so I want to produce the best results without spending a billion dollars haha
What are your typical shutter speeds?

Well is IS necessary or not? I really like shooting sports so I want to produce the best results without spending a billion dollars haha

With sutter speeds fast enough to stop action the IS probably isn't helping enough to justify the extra cost.

I would add another vote for glass first before camera upgrade and then I would consider the 7D before jumping all the way to the 5DIII. (unless you are making a ton of disposable income from photography).

ronlane said:
With sutter speeds fast enough to stop action the IS probably isn't helping enough to justify the extra cost.

I would add another vote for glass first before camera upgrade and then I would consider the 7D before jumping all the way to the 5DIII. (unless you are making a ton of disposable income from photography).

What settings do you use the most? Just trying to get the hang of this. Last year I took some pictures using a bridge camera and they turned out alright, I sold probably $120 worth of pictures. I hope to have better pictures this year and make more.

IS is usually recommended for sports lenses even though the shutter speed is fast enough because IS also helps focus performance.

When you're trying to focus the shot, the IS will help the AF points lock focus faster. Without it, it takes longer to get focus to lock when you're dealing with long focal lengths and hand-holding the camera.

TCampbell said:
IS is usually recommended for sports lenses even though the shutter speed is fast enough because IS also helps focus performance.

When you're trying to focus the shot, the IS will help the AF points lock focus faster. Without it, it takes longer to get focus to lock when you're dealing with long focal lengths and hand-holding the camera.

Okay, I'm hoping that a 70-200mm L lens will be my next upgrade. I'm still confused whether or not I should get IS or Non-IS though..

Get the IS version. It's worth it.

Thank you all for your help. I'm only 15, so it's a work in progress. I mean I slowly will be making my way up to the 5D. Just wondering what camera would be a step up from the T3, then after years of using these cams I would upgrade to the 5D, using it to hopefully shoot at professional or college events.

At your age I say go and get yourself on the yearbook staff. Some schools may even have lenses and camera bodies you can use. Shooting for the yearbook should get you access to plenty of games to practice on of all sports.

Light Guru said:
At your age I say go and get yourself on the yearbook staff. Some schools may even have lenses and camera bodies you can use. Shooting for the yearbook should get you access to plenty of games to practice on of all sports.

That's definitely something to look in to. Hopefully next school year!

bigal1000 said:
About twice the price.I just jumped on the non is version 70-200L while B@H had the Canon sale going$559

Wow. Alright well I'll be saving up some money haha

bigal1000 said:
About twice the price.I just jumped on the non is version 70-200L while B@H had the Canon sale going$559

You'll probably want the f/2.8 version and not the f/4.0 70-200. I think the $559 sale price was for the f/4.0 as the 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS is currently $1349 at B&H. If it was $549 for the 2.8 I'm really bummed I missed that sale!!

bigal1000 said:

You'll probably want the f/2.8 version and not the f/4.0 70-200. I think the $559 sale price was for the f/4.0 as the 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS is currently $1349 at B&H. If it was $549 for the 2.8 I'm really bummed I missed that sale!!

That would have been an awesome sale! But the 559 was for the f/4 version, non-is.
Op, you could also look into buying used, if its something you would consider, pm me for info on a 70-200 f/4 non is.

ZimPhoto said:

Oh wow me too! I wish I could have caught that.

What kind of sports are you shooting? Ideally you want to get f2.8 lens. You should invest now in a 24-70 and a 70-200 f2.8. IS is nice because the glass is better, more elements and it will produce sharper images. Im in the same dilema as you. I would like to buy 2 7D's but I might just get 2 5D MIII's because the quality is so good. I dont spray n pray. I would like to get the 1D MIV but a lil out of my reach and I really dont need to be bursting all day. The 5D MIII has 6fps which is fine for sports. Yes 10+ is great but in all reality, do you really want to go to an event and just hold down a shutter?

Invest in glass then a camera. If you can wait till April, there the new 7D or 70D is coming out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back