Sports photography?

If you are looking for nice sharp backgrounds and foregrounds and all grounds in-between that won't give you much in the way of subject separation by all means shoot at f11. If you want images that give you a soft background shoot at 5.6, it will give you a higher shutter speed and lower iso, on a bright sunny day iso 200 works, especially with the camera body you are using, keeping the iso as low as possible and the shutter speed as high.

Thank you all so much for the advice! Now I have to go find some disposable income to invest...test...invest again...test again...

How about you try posting some picture to the photography forum before you go spend more money. The only way we can tell you skill level is to actually see your work. You should be able to achieve decent picture even with a kit lens. I would recommend mastering what you have before you go spend money on gear when you dont really know how to use what you have already.

I can do that. As a reasonably "new" forum member...is there a particular place i should do that?

PIcs go here:

Photo Galleries

od advice in this thread--very useful stuff. Something I haven't heard anyone comment on though is your mention above about how you don't want the background to be bokeh, you want it sharp. Now that's a problem.

I'm not sure where I said I wanted the background sharp, but if I did, it was unintentional. I LIKE having my subject be nice and sharp, and the background fuzzy - it just really makes my gymnast, or my dancer stand out. And that is exactly what I want!

But someone else said I need to learn to use what I have first. Which is great advice (because who wants to spend money when they don't have to). I can get pretty good shots with what I have. But I admit, I don't mess to much with the settings. I'll have to take all this info and go play.

Most reactions

Back