Spot Metering Automatic Vs. Manual

FLCKeats

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

In short, I had a coworker today tell me that you "don't spot meter on manual mode".

This threw me through a loop. I'm not a beginner, but I'm not advanced, and I've always used various metering modes on manual to achieve the correct exposure.

Any insight? Always down to learn something new.

Thanks!

I'd ask him 'Why not?". Metering modes and exposure modes are not linked. I'm as likely to spot meter in manual as I am to use centre-weighted in aperture-priority. Use whatever gets the result you need.

Her explanation was that: "You only use spot-metering on automatic so that when you meter on the 'spot' you want, the automatic exposure compensates and corrects the rest of the image, as where on manual, you have to go in and fix everything else once that one spot is correctly metered."

Does the coworker claim to know anything about photography? I think you should just keep doing what you need to do, and never mind what that person told you.

Does the coworker claim to know anything about photography? I think you should just keep doing what you need to do, and never mind what that person told you.

That's actually what threw me off. She previously worked at a camera/photography store and produces nice prints. I'm not sure if she's taking an odd stance on this, but I've never heard of her commentaire practiced by any photographer.

Your coworker brings this to mind. N.S.F.W.

Her explanation was that: "You only use spot-metering on automatic so that when you meter on the 'spot' you want, the automatic exposure compensates and corrects the rest of the image, as where on manual, you have to go in and fix everything else once that one spot is correctly metered."

That explanation suggests a fundamental misunderstanding of how cameras work.

Joe

That explanation suggests a fundamental misunderstanding of how cameras work.

Joe
Ya Think??? :allteeth:

I think this person has a bit of an odd stance on a single metering mode which likely reflects on incomplete understanding on their part; or a poor phrasing of their reasoning.

No matter what metering mode you use you still have to change the settings yourself in manual mode. Spot metering is no different. Spot metering in manual can let you spot meter one spot; let you change those settings for that point and then recompose knowing that the settings are based on the spot you selected no matter where you recompose to.

You can also use spot metering to meter on various light sources to get a rough idea of the overall exposure spread of a scene and then, in manual mode, pick settings that would best balance that scene exposure wise.

Well...there's more than one way to use a camera. In Av or A mode, you can use spot metering, meter a desired spot, and let the shutter speed move up or down to whatever, and press the AE lock button with the right thumb, to HOLD the reading, compose, focus, and shoot. This is a fast way to use SPOT metering in an automated metering mode.

Other people will use M mode, and place the spot on the metering area, and manually adjust the exposure to the right value, and then leave it there. This is the most-commony heard of, most normal, accepted way to SPOT meter a scene. But not the 'only' way!

I dunno...SPOT metering used wrongly leads to more screw-ups than fix-ups, in my experience. Spot metering can lead to hugely varying exposure meter readings. I've used it both in M and A modes, but I use it very,very rarely, and understand what I want to do with it, its limitations, and its strengths. I grew up without any spot metering capability, but relied on Nikon's 60/40 and 80/20 center-weighted metering system. (The F3HP had the 80/20 balance, very un-Nikon-like.)

As to your friend's comment that, "Her explanation was that: "You only use spot-metering on automatic so that when you meter on the 'spot' you want, the automatic exposure compensates and corrects the rest of the image, as where on manual, you have to go in and fix everything else once that one spot is correctly metered."--Ummmmmm.....NO.....not the way this really,truly works.

Good to see that you came here to ask. I would hate to have seen you spend the next few years switching over to automatic mode every time you used spot metering.

It's funny how some people stand firm on something so obviously crap.
For wildlife I almost exclusively use spot metering in manual.

Most reactions

Back