Spot Metering Question ( XSi )

j-digg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not 100 percent here.. but pretty sure that when I use spot metering it never seems to take my reading from the AF point I manually chose, but always from the center dot. So do I have to take the reading from the center spot and then recompose or is there a way to meter it from the desired location of focus? I'll mess around with it as soon as I get home too, just to make sure I'm not crazy. :lol:

In my 30D manual it shows that spot metering in the center 3.5% of the viewfinder. They have a diagram showing the coverage. I don't know about the Xsi, so have a look at your manual. However I believe that the movable or variable spot metering is only on some of the 1Series Canon's.

I'm not 100 percent here.. but pretty sure that when I use spot metering it never seems to take my reading from the AF point I manually chose, but always from the center dot. So do I have to take the reading from the center spot and then recompose or is there a way to meter it from the desired location of focus? I'll mess around with it as soon as I get home too, just to make sure I'm not crazy. :lol:

Are you pressing the "Set" button after you have selected the AF point? The "Set" button will reset the AF point back to the center. Just manually select the AF point you want and exit.

Finally found my manual again, and Hoosier, you were right.. It tells me it reads from the center, so I will have to exposure lock then recompose.

/closethread

Last edited:
Finally found my manual again, and Hoosier, you were right.. It tells me it reads from the center, so I will have to exposure lock then recompose.

/closethread

Perfect.........:thumbup:

I usually always use partial or spot and meter on the main subject, lock, recompose, focus and shoot..

If the photo is important, I may AEB on each side...........

Most reactions

New Topics

Back