Spreading the word...how do people find your business?

I like these ideas! Most of my business comes through word of mouth or via my website. I do think having one (I have 2 for the different types of portraits/headshots I do) is essential, though, and I've found it works to put a lot of the pricing/what's included in different package-type information right on the site, so people don't feel they have to call with a lot of questions.
I also do vouchers for charities to auction off. Not sure this drives people to me, but good karma? :)
I don't bother with phone books or print ads, though. Not sure many people still use them?

What kind of charities do you focus on? And how do you find them? Ive been trying to find expensive charities in the area but im not really coming up with anything, I only hear about a few after it happens.

These are great ways, targeting charities is a great option. Although you need something more guaranteed. I do not know your budget but I know companies like Calumet Photographic use Paid Search tactics to gain visibility on what they do.

My experience on the topic is not very high but I know they have got some really good results from it, well from the press releases I have seen.

Worth a try?:)

Most people discover my business because I ring them up and let them know I exist! There are also word of mouth referrals that come from friends of satisfied clients. That's about it. Very rarely any other method is effective. Social media is ok - but nothing makes an impression and leaves someone wanting to check you out than a personal approach.

does that work for new clients? pick up a phone book and call them to see if they are interested in a family portrait? :D

Most people discover my business because I ring them up and let them know I exist! There are also word of mouth referrals that come from friends of satisfied clients. That's about it. Very rarely any other method is effective. Social media is ok - but nothing makes an impression and leaves someone wanting to check you out than a personal approach.

When I first started out I was like an internet hero before there was internet. I was on myspace, I was hashtagging everying, I was everywhere. I never offered free stuff. I made the pricing crazy.

zombie_thread.jpg

The op posted this on March 6, 2006.

Trade shows, events, fairs, festivals, and gallery exhibitions.

Previous clients, other vendors, venues, various social networking, and from search engines. I shoot weddings and engagements only and I have never been to a bridal show. Most of my referrals are from word of mouth.

When I was starting out I did a lot of slides for artists needing to get into shows. The pluses: you get a lot of lighting and tabletop experience. The minuses: the clients are always working till the last moment so every thing is rush and they are artists and don't have any money. I acquired several pieces from people that are now represented in high end galleries though so, for me at least, that was a good investment. I also had a day job in a photo lab for rent

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am booking weddings LIKE CRAZY through Craigslist.com... and It's FREE!
Also considered posting an add in the local tri county paper.. but not sure if that would be a good investment. It would get your name known through your community, though, and thats a plus.

Hell, I am going to mention only this that worked for me and my partner (my future wife) when we started our business. First thing for you to do is to find a SEO (search engine optimisation) company that to bring your website on the top when someone in your area types a certain word. For example, if they type wedding photographer you will be on the top. This will cost you some money, but it is a neccessity. The second thing we did was to make sure that the people was spreading word about us. The buzz marketing is very usefull in our business. From a friend to a friend, even to strangers in different forums and social medias. 3rd thing, uprade your portfolio regularly. What we did was to start competing in online contests without or with a minimal entry fee. We participate only in contests, where the theme is close or atleast related somehow to what we do. For example, there is a contest "Beautiful smile". If I were you, i would pick my best photo from a wedding, join the contest and at the end, to update my porfolio and my website with the positive feedbacks from the contest. This will make your current customers happy, gain you some recognition and it is a perfect way to advertise yourself.
One more thing I would like to mention and suggest. During the weak months, when you are not so occupied, come up with some promotions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Google ad is expensive , Keyword " product photography" min bid $10, I cant afford it.
There are some free software to collect email addresses from google search keywords.
My target is eyewear retailers, so I am using keywords " eyewear, sunglasses".
I got positive result from this way.

I have started a few businesses and, personally, I have found SEO and any kind of search should not be counted on to build a business. You have to get in front of people or pay someone to do it for you. There are industry services that do not cost much and offer many features. Some include getting you in front of potential clients. I do not know this company (picappoint) but, I certainly could have used something like this when I was shooting real estate.

I have tried many forms of advertising over my thirty years as a commercial photographer, this has NEVER worked for me and I find it to be a total waste of time and money. My commercial work has been largely word of mouth, not to mention a good website. It's important to keep your website up to date and change it regularly based on what your current projects are. Plus, I occasionally send out direct mail pieces that are custom designed and targeted to specific industries that I like to work in. I create them myself since I'm usually only sending just a few out at a time. These direct mail pieces need to be amazing, especially the envelope, make them curious. Otherwise they end up in the circular file before they make it to their desk.

My fine art work is attending portfolio reviews, showing up with several portfolios and an over the top leave behind (by the end of the review, I'm being hunted down by other reviewers to get one), then following up a few months later, I create a one off direct mail piece, tailored to the individual curator or gallery owner. However, most of the museum shows I have been in came out of the blue. I later found out the curators were following me.

I feel over the last couple of years social media in general has become ineffective as a business tool. I quite Facebook years ago and have been only on Instagram, finding it to be barely OK. Instagram in the last few years has become the new stock photography source for many art directors and magazine editors. Create collections you have fun with and make sure you use appropriate hash tags so you can be found.

I think the most important thing is simple, be nice! You would not believe how many clients, museum curators and gallery owners share stories of photographers and artists who are NOT fun to work with, mostly due to their arrogant attitudes. I am constantly being complimented on how nice I was to work with and looking forward to the next time.

Since the start of the pandemic I have had zero work, period. Believe me I have been trying, but photography is deemed nonessential in most areas. So, I've been working on creating lots of new fine art work and designing books that some will work nicely as direct mail pieces.

Deon

Most reactions

Back