Spreading the word...how do people find your business?

I think that a professional website is very important to impress customers, but the problem is getting your website name out there. I have found that sending out a high quality postcard with maybe some of your work on the front and your website & contact info on the back works really well. I have used http://www.expresscopy.com and their cards print sharply and they are affordable. Hopefully that helps someone.

Amy

I agree, I think that a website is the number one way to close the deal. However I think a bad website is worse then not having a website or only having a splash page up. I personally like custom sites, but those can range from $2000+. A couple good yet inexpensive website companies (templates) are portfoliositez.com, bigfolio.com, and flashpalette.com. All of these come with admins that allow you to edit all your site content.

I think it is still really important to get your site seem in search engine's as well. The best way to do this is to get your link out on the web as many places as you can. Adding it to your signature in a forums, to any resource list in your area, or on sites such as the knot.com can help with this.

Another idea I think helps clients keep you in mind is having a blog. I've seen this done successfully (http://www.boutwellstudio.com/blog/), however if it is not updated regularly it can be counter productive I think.

I also personally like sending out marketing material to those interested, mostly a tri-fold brochure or a full color postcard. The cheapest place I could find that I'm happy with is gotprint.com.

:D

clear.gif
what do I need and how do I need to ask a daycare to photograph the kids!?!?

I agree with those who have suggested building a website, and if you are able to do this yourself it can be relatively cheap.

It is good having a well designed website, however the hard bit is actually getting lots of potential customers to visit your site.
There are lots of articles on the internet about search engine optimization, however one of the main points is to get lots of other photography sites to link to you. This generates direct traffic from those sites, but more importantly it will help with your search engine rankings.

Some sites worth submitting your link to;

http://www.dmoz.org/ - The most important one as lots of other sites use the data from this site.
http://www.PhotoSites.co.uk - The Photography Directory Project.
http://www.photodir.net/ - Another photo directory
http://www.photogalaxy.com/ - And another....
etc, etc....

If you search Google you will find a fair few photography Directories. It may take a bit of time, but it is wrth submitting to as many of the popular ones as possible.

Regards
Ed

Hi Everybody, I have received very good inputs for marketing the photography products. In most of your cases, you are professional photographers. In my case I don't photograph, i just edit them & convert them to videos, calenders, Wedding Albums etc., I would like you experts to suggest me the way is should start marketing my services. I'm just 4 months into this business & haven't had much success. I do have a website

www.binarycreation.com

Regards
Manu

Hi, I am an intern at a printing company and was wondering if postcard marketing would be an effective means for you guys to get your name out there. Do any of you use postcard marketing/ do you find it helpful? I've read all of these posts and am interested in learning more about how you all market yourself. thanks!

I think a very good way to start your photography business is to sell some photos to a stock photography website. Even if you cant sell the photos you can get some ideas of what professional work looks like. a really good website with a lot verity of super clean images is Glow images . com http://www.glowimages.com/
when ever i need ideas i like to do some research and see what type of pictures people are popular and people are taking. Stock image site show all different types of pics as well if u need a picture to use in any way you can get it fast and easy.

I completely agree with Ed2007. Today, the best way to build your business is to create a well designed website and market it online. You can cost effectively reach an enormous amount of viewers/customers by listing your photography services or company with online directories. Here are a few examples...

National/International
www.marketingtool.com

Local example (since I live in Porland, Oregon)
www.pdxcreativedirectory.com

I agree a good website is a great start. I also (at no charge) take photos of the pets for the local animal rescue and meet lots of people who need portraits that way. Last week I got a booth in a great location at a busy tradeshow for taking photos of the tradeshow and it's events. Not only did I meet lots of people who have never heard of me I had a drawing for a free session and got lots of names for a future email. I also worked with the PR company that runs the shows and will be doing more of them down the road. It was a lot of work but I really think it will pay off.
What I am saying is you really have to work you butt off and always be on. Anyone you meet could be a paying customer. My company has only been up and running for a few months but we are getting tons of work and plan on getting more.

As someone who is just starting out in business, this thread has been really helpful. Thanks to all for the great suggestions.
Oh yeah, 1st post

I'm in school. I took a flyer with my contact info, and stating i was a photographer, I stuck those flyers to the 2 sides of my binder.

My art teacher and several students have asked to see my work ^_^

wow elsas pet. I just vivited your website and i am very impressed. I've been shooting for about 30 years and have just realized it is what i want as my career. (just went digi too) it's inspiring thx. all this info you guys are posting is awsome, im eating it up.

I have a good job, not great but good....benefits and all...anyway, it could easily be outdone with self employment. The trouble is making the switch. Anyway, I'm just undertaking photography seriously right now, and would like to make money at it. What better way to pay for the Camera, my current job doesn't do a good jod at it.

Anyway, I love sports..I mean love sports...I would love to do sports, but could easily find myself doing nature and wildlife too. I would do weddings and portraits too, but would like to focus on things I love, so I don't start looking at is as another job. My question is from scratch, how do you sell pictures to magazine, newspapers and the rest? AND, how do you get on the sidelines too?

Right now I plan on starting with high school football, and minor league hockey. My two favorite sports. Anyway, I expect to sell pictures to parents at least for HSFB, and who knows on minoe league hockey. Nobody really cares about hockey here in the south......

I just joined the forum yesterday, so I'm trying to catch up. This thread is of particular interest - and I appreciate all the great comments and suggestions so far.

Although I've been a photographer for a very long time (40 years) I only recently began thinking of it as my profession. I suppose it started about seven years ago when the head of the Art Department at the University of West Florida was looking for someone to teach Photoshop ... and I got the job.

Today, I teach privately - seminars and one-on-one tutoring in basic digital photography & Photoshop. I also do custom PP work for some of the local pros, and an occasional photo restoration.

My actual photography activity consists of developing and marketing my own private work - primarily landscapes - shooting a couple of big events a year (a fishing tournament and a flower show), an occasional family beach portrait, and, most recently, photographing artwork for local artists.

My primary website is all about teaching what I know, but it also serves as a link builder and a source of affiliate income (google ads), referrals, etc. Not being - or wanting to become - a website designer, I've used what I now know is the most successful online business development service in the world. (If you're interested in learning more, please PM me).
I recently launched a new venture on Cafepress.com, and have my own gallery and sales site. It hasn't amounted to much yet, but these things take time to build. So I'm being patient.

Selling prints for events - like the aforementioned fishing tournament - is handled through my Pro Gallery on Shutterfly. This arrangement, or something very much like it, seems to be the only viable way to make money with event photography (Note to Tennessee Landscape: This would be especially appropriate for you and your interest in shooting football and hockey.) It's amazing to shoot a three day event, with two other shooters I've hired, collect all the files (about 1600 last years between the three of us), edit, select and upload ... and have sales being generated before the event is even over!

Unlike most of you here, I'm not interested in building a commercial photography business that's capable of supporting a family. I'll be 65 in a couple of weeks, so this is really just doing what I can to keep enjoying my passion for photography and for teaching.

But I'm convinced that a younger, more ambitious and more energetic person (are you listening Tennessee Landscape?) could use some or all of these ideas to build a very nice business.

My husband and I just opened our studio last month. We are starting out small, for now... running specials on MySpace and CheapCycle (which we've actually gotten a decent response with). We're in the process of building our website, and once that is done we will do a bit more advertising. Hubby ran his own video production company about 10 years ago, and was very successful at it (made more than he did working two full time jobs and a part time job), so we also have his reputation from that, in our favor.

Most reactions

Back