What's new

spring is coming....... just not in vancouver

afoto

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 4, 2012
Messages
253
Reaction score
148
Location
Vancouver BC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
1st pic posted!
I would love some C&C

a little about the image:
trying out my new lee filters (yea!) and my new B&W 10 stop filter (yea!) and my new 16-35mm lens (yea!)
it stopped raining for an hour yesterday afternoon so i was able to take a few fun shots.

here in vancouver we have a lot of clouds... or actually just this one big giant cloud. i'm hoping it will leave soon so we can have some spring.

145 second exposure
horizon was intentionally put in the middle, but i could be convinced otherwise if you have a good argument!



kits beach, vancouver by hippy_henna, on Flickr
 
So what Lee filters did you use for this? And Happy Spring to you too!
 
I really like the horizon in the middle - the clouds & the beach balance out nicely.
That is one gigantic cloud.....
 
I like it. Fits the title nicely.

I would like to see a closer version with more impact from the city, in which you could cut out the dead space at the top uncentering the horizon.
 
hey georgiegirl,

i had a 0.9 and 0.6 soft GND to help even out the exposure of the sky
 
afoto - nice image - it would be interesting to see it in landscape mode. I hope your weather gets better, but it is Vancouver :sexywink:. At least it isn't snowing - we had 10-15 cm of the white stuff here in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies tonight, granted it will be gone in a day or so, but it still sucks.


WesternGuy
 
Nice picture. Represents exactly the weather we get in Vancouver as of late.
 
...

I would like to see a closer version with more impact from the city, in which you could cut out the dead space at the top uncentering the horizon.

Here is one of my favorites Vancouver panoramas: http://www.adichiru.com
It is not the same view but you can see how the city lights up the giant cloud :)
 
1st pic posted!
I would love some C&C

a little about the image:
trying out my new lee filters (yea!) and my new B&W 10 stop filter (yea!) and my new 16-35mm lens (yea!)
it stopped raining for an hour yesterday afternoon so i was able to take a few fun shots.

here in vancouver we have a lot of clouds... or actually just this one big giant cloud. i'm hoping it will leave soon so we can have some spring.

145 second exposure
horizon was intentionally put in the middle, but i could be convinced otherwise if you have a good argument!



kits beach, vancouver by hippy_henna, on Flickr

Such a wonderful picture. Well captured.
 
I agree that it works as is. When I first saw it I thought there was too much sky and I was looking mostly at the texture on the beach, but now I think it would somehow be unbalanced with less sky. Perhaps it's the way the highlight along the shoreline leads you right up through the skyline and kind of counterclockwise through the highlights in the sky. It may even be worth lightening the highlight areas near the top of the sky for this reason.
 
I like the composition as is, but just playing devil's advocate, if you increased the sky with those massive clouds, while decreasing the relatively flat beach, you'd end up with a much stronger composition. The clouds are certainly ominous looking, have different variations in it's tones, and shapes, so it would only increase the over all interest they generate in the photograph. Much more then what the beach does.
 
thanks everyone,

joel, yes, looking back i wish i would have taken a second shot with more sky... note to self for next time!

adichiru, hahahahaha im glad we're now referring to it as "Vancouver's cloud"
 
Wonderful shot. Awesome example of when its good to break a rule.

Side note: You look just like a gal I used to know in Prince George. Not from there are ya?

JM
 
Side note: You look just like a gal I used to know in Prince George. Not from there are ya?

JM

hahah sorry FSJeffo, nope. born and raised in the fraser valley :P
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom