Spudgunr's C&C thread

spudgunr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are some of my better quality pictures. A lot of them were taken while playing around with my new 35mm f/1.8 lens seeing what it is capable of without a flash. A lot of my pictures are of my wife and son, that is afterall the reason I bought that particular lens, and the camera in general. The lighting/exposure aren't always correct, some of that is on purpose though.

The cool building at the new beach park
DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

Unfortunately it is quite grainy, I had been playing around to get shutter speed somewhat faster while shooting at f/1.8 and didn't have time to change the ISO back to something reasonable because he only stayed there a split second. Still, I love the picture.
DSC_0244.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0235.jpg

On this one I may blow it up and focus on the reflection of me in her sunglasses for one of the "photos of you with your camera" threads.
DSC_0169.jpg

Looks like he has something planned.
DSC_0145.jpg

My son with his aunt (my sister) on easter.
DSC_0142.jpg

A slightly under-exposed version of the sunrise the morning my son had woke up very unhappy. I did get a picture with the correct exposure, but my first goal was getting the color correct. Unfortunately, there was nowhere else I could go to take this picture.
DSC_0135.jpg

He refused to smile, so we improvised.
DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

You've got a lot of photos here, you should try posting the ones you think are the strongest and give us a link to your gallery. One thing that I see is common among your photos is the high level of noise when you're not using the flash. This is the result of shooting at a high ISO, probably 1600 or 3200. Since your lens is fast, try shooting at ISO 800 max and work with a tripod if your shutter time is too long to keep still. The ones that have it the worst are ones you probably could've shot at 800, even 400 without getting motion blur.

You've got a lot of photos here, you should try posting the ones you think are the strongest and give us a link to your gallery. One thing that I see is common among your photos is the high level of noise when you're not using the flash. This is the result of shooting at a high ISO, probably 1600 or 3200. Since your lens is fast, try shooting at ISO 800 max and work with a tripod if your shutter time is too long to keep still. The ones that have it the worst are ones you probably could've shot at 800, even 400 without getting motion blur.

I believe a lot of the apparent noise is actually from the resizing process, I can confirm that from the originals. I do know the one with my son laying his head on the chicky IS quite noisy. A lot of the time I shoot in auto ISO, though it depends on what I'm playing around with. The tripod idea would be feasible on the outdoors pictures, but not on most of the indoors pictures. Actually, most of the indoors ones were taken at my parents house and we already had a car full so a tripod wasn't on the option list there.

Looking back at one it does look fine in the original. Is there a setting in irfanview that will prevent the noise on resizing? I just bulk resized my entire secure digital card to convert to jpg and make a reasonable size, but I haven't done that much in that program.

Edit: I reconverted with a different setting and reuploaded. I've tried refreshing and the links don't seem to update (I deleted the old then put the new so the links are the same), but they should be fine now.

Last edited:
Ah, I can see a bit even on the resized stuff the grain. The first picture up there was shot at ISO1600. I overexposed it a bit, you can't tell but that picture was probably 20 minutes after sunset. I had put it at iso 1600 so that the shutter would be reasonable speed (1/60th second) at something other than wide open aperature (since I did want some depth to the picture after all) and that lens doesn't have VR. I had forgotten about that picture and wrote off all the grain to the resizing, which it obviously wasn't all due to that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back