Spur of the moment - Manual mode C/C needed

dslrchat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
forums.dslrchat.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was in a Park last night practicing with Manual mode.
Took a quick oportunity to Photog another photographer (she really wasnt happy to lol )

Please C/C
I did not realize till afterwards that I was on 400 ISO - I think they are a bit noisy because of this?

j1.jpg

j2.jpg

j3.jpg

I really like the choice of location. The model's expressions do not look natural, or even pleasant. Be careful of cutting off limbs, like her leg. Composition could be better, she is in the same spot in every frame, try some vertical, and remember the rule-of-thirds . And finally, I would ask her to sit very still, and use a slower shutter speed to turn the water into silk.

Thanks for the tips.
I shoulda caught that about her leg, something I need to remember.

I never though about using a slower shutter speed for this shot, probably because I had just taken 100 without here a long shutter.
This location is fairly close to me and I will be going back a few times to retry.
TY again,

The subject, the other photographer? looks very uncomfortable. The shots were basicly the same, which is fine if you are testing tecnique, but her underwear showing with a litle skin distracts from the picture. It is the little things like this that make the biggest difference in an OK and a great picture. Take your time and think about what you want in the end. Also off setting her to the left would have made a more pleasent composition- IMHO
Keep burning pixals and it will come together.
Judge Sharpe

Yes, she really didnt want me to take these, I had to beg.

I thought the white was underwear too, but it was the waist of the pants.

I see what you mean by off setting her to the left.

I had a few other poses and spots, but these were the best 3.

( these were the first people photographs I have tried to take, all others were really just snapshots)

Thanx for your time J S, very much appreciated.

With the camera in the same position, try sitting her two stones (rocks, boulders?) up with a faster shutter speed to freeze the water as much as possible while holding enough DOF so that the viewer knows it's a water fall. You can also turn her around and sit her on the boulder she now has her right foot on. Either way, keep her a way from the center but facing into it.

And take many pics. You're bound to get a hint of a smile out of her.

As far as finding a good model and location. A+
I do however find the composition to be a bit uninteresting, and i wonder how much pp you did. With portraits, you want the subject to jump out at you more, and there just isn't enough contrast for me. With that said, i do however think that these shots can be turned into some awesome stuff in post production if you feel like taking your time to do so. Here is a quick edit i did just to show you what can be done by adjusting contrast and coloring.
Untitled-3.jpg

... and there just isn't enough contrast for me.
That depends on the eye of the beholder, doesn't it? Myself, I think the contrast is fine. Maybe the color can be warmed up a little, but that, too, depends on the eye of the beholder.

TY for the comments every1,
helps me alot to improve.
I will be going back there again with the other photog, hopefully we wont be as rushed and will get some more time to prepare.

Yeah maybe it's cuz I'm a dude but my eye seems to travel to that spot where the skin is sticking out a bit. Maybe clone that out if you can.

The 1st repost looks much better.

I also like how in the original post... you see her expression go from sheer panic to "model" in the series. Haha.

Photo #1 - I notice some noise in the darks not too bad on noise though. The sky is completly blown out which detracts from the photo. Also you cut her foot off at the bottom again simple mistake. The pose is good. The facial expression however looks horrible it just doesnt look natural. Focus looks good. Another thing that would inprove the photo would be slow the shutter down slightly to make the water fall look way more majestic. All in all I wouldn't use this photo.

Photo #2 - Same thing as photo 1. Slight noise, sky blown out, foot cut off, pose good, facial expression is getting closer she kind of looks stressed out, slow the shutter down slightly. Again I would not use this one either.

Photo #3 - Foot is cut off, good pose, facial expression is natural; good job on that. Again slightly slower shutter. The composition is way better in this one than the others not showing the blownout sky. All in all this one is good its a keeper.

TY for the comments snyder, Ya, I didnt even notice (or think about) cuttng of her foot like that.
And I did it n every shot too.

I wll get back out there again with her and try some more with different angles too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back