Stacking Stars C&C

McNugget801

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been getting some pretty decent results by stacking trails with startrails.exe.

Canon 7D
Tokina 11-16
F/2.8
ISO 1600
54 stacked images
30 seconds each
27 min of total exposure
4782772731_fd575d7ec3_z.jpg

Canon XSi
Tokina 11-16
F/2.8
ISO 1600
about 1 hour worth of stacked exposures

4659316503_346dc7db17_z.jpg

As far as the technical side of it, I haven't done much with stacking...

but from just a viewpoint, I think that they are fantastic.

I'm trying to find out what light was moving in the second one that goes from the mid left, behind the truck, and across.

These look pretty nice to me. I assume the light in the second one is you with a torch? Good way of adding more interest to the photo and drawing the eye in.

Being a purist from the film days, I would quite normally turn up my nose at these. However, you just can't do some of the things with digital you could do with film. Star trails is one of those things...

I really enjoyed #1. Great comp, and the lake is the perfect touch. I also like that you managed to still retain some colours in the sky = 5 out of 5.

#2. I like it but... the torch / flashlight is really distracting for me. Must remember, the human eye will automatically be drawn to light over dark. The torch effect ( for me ) just takes away the subject of the stars and makes it the light streaking across the image.

Great effort though on both... I'd really like to see a few more of these from you, McNugget.

Correct - the white streaks are headlamps

Great effort though on both... I'd really like to see a few more of these from you, McNugget.

Thanks for the feedback.
I have have a few versions of this image, the headlamp streaks were created at the end of the series so they can easily be left out of the stack.

Really like the campfire lighting in #2. Though I too find the torch streak on the left distracting.

Both very nice images.

Most reactions

Back