Stair Trail Using Slow Exposure

You guys highjacked the life from the original post lol

You guys highjacked the life from the original post lol

LOL, sorry, but when I clicked the link I got the offer to buy the photo for $140.
So, I don't feel too bad.

But, back on topic.
I'm going to the Tennessee mountains and would like to try to get a Milky Way image.
Should I use the better IQ 17-55 f2.8 or the nikon 10-24 for the extra wide 10mm?.

You know stacking is a wonderful thing, but you can't beat light capturing ability. I'd sooner take the 17-55 for it's half a stop faster aperture. Though given the amazing pictures 10mm produces I think this is a tough call.

You know stacking is a wonderful thing, but you can't beat light capturing ability. I'd sooner take the 17-55 for it's half a stop faster aperture. Though given the amazing pictures 10mm produces I think this is a tough call.

I assume you mean 10mm in general and not the Nikon in particular.
So far I have not been to sure with the 10-24 I have, but I have not given it that much opportunity either.

And though this is a star trail thread I will be doing wide view and long exposure, so I would think star trails shouldn't be too apparent (?).

BTW, how high can I set the ISO on my D300s?
I'm thinking 1600.
Or, should I go higher and use long exp. NR?

Hi Guys,

Just checked back to see if there were any questions about what I posted, but see that the thread has taken off in a new direction so I'll leave it be!

Take care!

I did mean the Nikon but really the point is the same for all of them. More light = more stars.

The startrails should be apparent. One thing to note is that the process should change considerably depending on what you're photographing and where.

Regardless of what you do long exposure NR is not only bad, it will flat out spoil the image. You can't stack since it creates an equal exposure for processing purposes. That means any star trails will look like dashes. In any case the "Dark Frame" is exactly what this is for when using Deep Sky Stacker. It does long exposure noise reduction except gives you the option of when to take the exposure (during the shoot is not ideal).

So what are you going for?
- Shooting pictures of stars? Crank up the ISO, take lots of short pictures, don't let the stars trail, align the images and stack the result to bring out the detail and reduce noise in the dark pictures you're taking.
- Shooting startrails in the city? Go really low ISO, take exposures long enough till you can't tolerate the background light pollution, give a few seconds gap and start the next exposure, stack the result with a "maximum brightness" type algorithm to ensure that the startrails come out but the background brightness doesn't increase.
- Shooting startrails in the bush? Play with a low to medium ISO, take exposures long enough till you can't tolerate the noise or sensor bleeding, again give a few seconds cooldown time between exposures, stack again with maximum brightness type algorithm to ensure the startrails come out, adjust levels afterwards since the noise in this case will appear to disappear by raising the brightness of the blacks.

Hi Guys,

Do you need a specific lens to capture star trails? Or can you use the standard kit lens? If so can anyone recommend settings to use and/or lenses that will capture the star trails. I have a d5000, so if ne one owns one and and can help that'll be fab! Thanks

As mentioned ability to capture light is key. Yes there is an ideal lens. The Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G is the ideal lens. That said I could actually buy a car for the same money.

You'll get limited results with a standard kit lens. You will need to increase the ISO to capture fainter stars which will result in more noise, but as always it's a matter of compromise.

hi all, i'm new the the DSLR world and learning different techniques of photography.
i have just learnt how to take these awsome startrail photos with alot of trial and error and finally got the image i wanted.
have a look and tell me what you think and how i can improve any feedback positive or negative welcome and feel free to browse through my other photos :D
Jacqui Hunt's Photos | Facebook

thanks
Jacqui

instead of stacking, you can also go out when there's a new moon, and if your lens is bright enough, they don't even need to be trails.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back