TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.petecrawford.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry everyone,

Back in the day when I joined this forum standards were pretty harsh. If you posted up a photo with a defect it'd be found, exposed and called out. That's how I improved. It may seem harsh, but it's been one of the best things I had to push me on.

Critique was standard, critisism was expected on most shots, but often it was combined with advice on how to make the shot better. It may have been too harsh at times, but it's important to push us on.

Over the years there's been a tendency to not provide critique, just comment "nice shot", no matter what we have. To make it clear, I don't blame the mods for this but we've moved to far the other way.

I really like you all, but as a collective we need to grow a set and realise if you don't want C&C then just post in the JFF section

Totally agree. The problem is people get their feefees hurt too easily these days. Too much, irrelevant, benign, meaningless and pointless words are said as you indicated.

I've been booted off of and out places online (both non and photography related) and real life (work and social related environments) for speaking my mind and standing my ground. People just can't take the truth anymore if it doesn't fit their agenda or is against what their opinion is.

Just a sign of the times, the internet and society I suppose. It promotes laziness, banality and a false sense of popularity. They all certainly abound. I stopped taking it too seriously a long time ago and the gullibility of folk not to see what's in front of them at times is astounding. I find it all so amusing.

I blame the 60's and the hippies:allteeth:

Nice post by ra way wee man..............o_O:D:D:D;)

Last edited:
This is the same argument when some posters observe the long-recognized tendencies by other posters to drop in a "Nice shot!" comment over and over, without offering more. Same issue that's been here at TPF from the beginning.

It's expected that people will mess up, post or comment the wrong way or in the wrong forum, but by and large the awareness is there. We also found that several new members felt bullied or attacked, and left the forum in confusion - and that's not conducive to learning any more than "Nice shot" comments are.

Yes - the Just For Fun Gallery is for one's snaps, casual shots, or a place to post shots that the photographer might still like, but knows are lacking due to circumstances beyond their control. So it's a perfect place to post those, where Nice shot or general comments on the subject matter alone are welcomed.

We have also recently re-opened the C&C Gallery for more in-depth critique, comments or technical advice, and have a sticky asking all contributors to give their reasons for taking the shot as well as their gear and technical settings.

I'd like to see more people posting in there, but oftentimes the guidelines are overlooked even with a section moderator in there (zombiesniper).

The regular Gallery section falls somewhere in between, so these Galleries do get the lion's share of casual comments, but I still see good discussion, too.

Instead of opening threads like these, help us help the forum by pointing out in threads that we do have these specific places to post work from members who are here more for the community rather than serious instruction on how to improve. This kind of thread will not get seen by the very folks who are not paying attention, so direct comment within their own threads will have better effect.

Serious beginner, seasoned pro, or those seeking community who only post cell phone shots - we aim to keep the doors open to all.

Adding to @terri comment above, for critique to be of value, doesn't mean it has to be harsh, but it does need to be correct. Off the wall comments and assuming that our personal opinions/ comments are the only correct ones doesn't help anyone. Good critique is also a two way street, the person asking for critique needs to be proactive with their post by giving some clues to the viewer as to what they're seeking help with. Posts with "comments & criticism appreciated" are rarely going to generate anything past calling out obvious technical issues. In addition to being a good place for valuable critique, the C&C Gallery offers some great suggestions for posters on how to ask for critique and how to offer critique.

Last edited:
I came to this site as a beginner and benefited from c&c of my own photos and I also learned quite a bit from reading the critique being offered to others. Some of it was really obnoxious and unnecessarily snarky. It was very off putting for a beginner. Fear of being shredded (FOBS?) by some of the harsher critics made me hesitate to post a few times in my early days here but in the end, I took the plunge and came to find it very helpful. I still hear a few particularly stinging comments about backgrounds ringing in my head whenever I go to take a portrait.

When I post on here I am hoping for critique or suggestions. If I just wanted likes I’d stick to Facebook and Instagram.

As to what smoke said above, I too find it helpful if the person specifies what they’re looking for critique on, and sometimes I will specify in my own post - but sometimes there is not anything specific that I want help on. Sometimes I’d just like somebody else to take a look and see if they see something that could be improved that I totally missed.

I agree. I don't post critique of anyone's photos because O feel like I'm still learning myself even though I've been into photography for at least 25 years. I just feel there others here who are much more experienced with the technical side and they'd be able to give much better critique than I ever would be able to. I wonder if that's possibly why there isn't more critique offered if a lot of newcomers feel that way (which is no fault of those who are on here and have more experience, the newcomers wouldn't learn if it weren't for their helpful input and information)?

I do need to start posting a few of my photos in the C&C forum with the hopes of getting some critique to help me learn what I'm doing wrong and what I need to work on (I've decided to finally learn how to use an external flash, I've always just used natural light with all my photos).

I just want likes so I can build up my self esteem. I just want to be liked, it feels warm and fuzzy.

Sorry everyone,

Back in the day when I joined this forum standards were pretty harsh. If you posted up a photo with a defect it'd be found, exposed and called out. That's how I improved. It may seem harsh, but it's been one of the best things I had to push me on.

Critique was standard, critisism was expected on most shots, but often it was combined with advice on how to make the shot better. It may have been too harsh at times, but it's important to push us on.

Over the years there's been a tendency to not provide critique, just comment "nice shot", no matter what we have. To make it clear, I don't blame the mods for this but we've moved to far the other way.

I really like you all, but as a collective we need to grow a set and realise if you don't want C&C then just post in the JFF section
C&C IS necessary - adversity begets strength and growth, and if people are going to put their creative efforts out there, they're going to have to learn how to handle whatever comes their way. People say all kinds of critical things that aren't always constructive. But creatives need some positive feedback too, especially beginners, so they don't get discouraged and just give it up.

and sometimes a nice shot is just a nice shot. Freud said it, i heard him.

I would like to see more people use the Theme threads for the everyday casual posting. For example birds, bridges, beaches, etc. These type of threads are great for the casual postings and for quick likes and the odd comment. Specific postings should only be used if you want critique and feedback or if it is a collage of photos from some event or place. This is largely how its done on another forum I am on and works great. And threads don't tend to disappear as fast this way. This would also clear up a lot of the wildlife (mostly bird) threads that keep increasing.
So if you want critique or feedback then post new thread otherwise post in existing theme thread.

What's the possibility that the world of photography is changing? Yesterday I noticed that the posts I was reading were from 2012 and 2013. I was looking for information on an 85mm f/1.8 D lens. It's like people are losing interest in photography as we knew it. Prices have dropped way down on Nikon lenses and cameras etc......

Interesting thread. Speaking for myself only, I'm not qualified to really criticize someone else's work, because I would have no way to identify what needs to be done for that person to improve their work, and constructive criticism, with constructive being the key word, should always come with recommendations on how to fix or improve an issue. I greatly appreciate those who take the time to point out issues in my photos, especially when they make helpful recommendations. I agree that criticism does not need to be harsh, and in fact harsh can be counter-productive. A simple, "Would you mind of I make a recommendation regarding your photo?" is perfect. If the individual who owns the photo doesn't want to grow, then they'll say so, but I know very few people who don't want to learn and improve, especially in the realm of photography. Maybe there should be an additional item below the "Can others edit my Photos:" that says, "Can others make constructive comments on your work:" with options like, "no NOT OK," or "Yep, please do," or "H*ll Yeah!"

I see lots of praise being given to mundane shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back