Standards have dropped...

in general, far to many people DEMAND that any and all photo image be at the very least imported into photo shop and given 5 minutes under the AI self decided manipulation to make a "nice photo" of it.

There are some camera users that will jump up and down with joy upon finding a single usuable image out of a photo shooting session of 500 images on burst mode as making them extremely great photographers in the level of say Avedon or Ansel Adams.

But so many rules do not work with every single subject, pose, environment, and situation. Not even with every single persons personal feelings and preferences.

People post pictures because they wish to share what they think is a good photo. If another person find fault with it, that means nothing.

The significance of any particular fault is a matter of opinion. Obviously, the person posting the picture did not consider the so called defect to be of any significance.

In my opinion so called defects in technique are way, way, way behind content. I find many turn of the last century photo's, far more interesting than many of today's technically perfect photographic content. But, that is just my opinion.

I think the work of Ansel Adams is second to none and reading his book trilogy show the amount of effort he puts into every print. However, that does not mean I enjoy every single photograph he has ever published.

In a photographic contest, the situation is a bit different. It is accepted that content is only part of the overs picture "quality" of the submission. Posting to the forum is not the same mind set.

People post pictures because they wish to share what they think is a good photo. If another person find fault with it, that means nothing.

The significance of any particular fault is a matter of opinion. Obviously, the person posting the picture did not consider the so called defect to be of any significance.

In my opinion so called defects in technique are way, way, way behind content. I find many turn of the last century photo's, far more interesting than many of today's technically perfect photographic content. But, that is just my opinion.

I think the work of Ansel Adams is second to none and reading his book trilogy show the amount of effort he puts into every print. However, that does not mean I enjoy every single photograph he has ever published.

In a photographic contest, the situation is a bit different. It is accepted that content is only part of the overs picture "quality" of the submission. Posting to the forum is not the same mind set.
I am also reading the Ansel Adams trilogy. I was so excited about getting the books that I bought the trilogy in both hardback and paperback. I considered myself a striving photography enthusiast. I strive each day to learn more and get better, although, I have learned that better is a moving target. On one of the infinite sides of photography, it is an art in the eye of the beholder, and on the other, a photographer can get as technical as they like. Sometimes a photo is just for sharing, looking for c&c, or an attempt at professional level contest presentations. I agree with all the comments made thus far, c&c does help each of us grow and learn but there should be a clear intention of the poster of whether of not they are sharing or asking for the wisdom of the photo forum community. The first link under photo galleries is the c&c gallery, the design and setup of the photo forum is pretty awesome for a user to submit any work or show their intentions. The photo forum has an awesome community and a wealth of knowledge. Thanks to everyone that makes it happen, including behind the scenes, the members, and the visitors.

I bought the Ansel Adams series and found it to be very useful in understanding the how and why things happen in the world of film photography.

My biggest take-away from the series was that Ansel's approach was like a paint and canvas artist. His intent was not to print what the camera saw but rather to use his years of acquired knowledge of cameras, film, filters, chemicals, darkroom methods etc. to print what he saw in his mind's eye.

Through his book trilogy he shares his knowledge and techniques with the film world at large, thus saving the beginner a lot of time and effort.

Digital photography is much the same thing but instead of reading a series of books; software gurus have studied the camera's digital image information and created many ways to manipulated it and presented it in real time on a video monitor, so the user is spared the time and effort of "shoot and develop."

Oddly enough, I find more pleasure in the incessant hands-on diddling of film. But that is just my nature.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back