Star/Light filter

jorgeantonystride

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out or point me in the direction of a current thread talking about star filters or other light filters that can create the effect in this shot

$forma-radiating1-1024x742.jpg

I wish to try and recreate this effect in my photography, but all the star filters I seem to find online don't seem to create this effect on a scale or colour as in the linked image.

Apologies if this comes across as a basic question, just thought I'd ask.

Thanks

Hi, I just moved your thread to this forum, where you might get some answers from more experienced photographers. :)

I could be way wrong here but I think that might have been added during post processing.

I could be way wrong here but I think that might have been added during post processing.

I know some people do add the effect in post, but there are quite a few people who I know for sure use lenses and filters, though they won't tell me what they use.

Looks like the effect I get with a Cokin "Galaxy" filter. They have others that give colored streaks too. Check them out.

A "starlight" (cross-screen) filter usually has fine wires criss-crossed in the glass to create spikes on every point of light, but it wont create the rainbow effect -- it just causes the lights to become spikes.

A diffraction grating will create the rainbow effect. Cokin makes a "Universe" filter and a "Galaxy" filter. The difference is really just the number of rainbow spikes you get from a single point of light. The above photo you posted looks more like the "Universe" filter.

EDIT: Found a link to the Cokin page where the show the effects: Filters for Photographic Lenses - Creative FIlters - www.cokin.co,.k There are many more filters, this just happens to be the page showing the effects which appear to match what you see in the image you posted.

Most reactions

Back