Star Trail Over Suburbia

Hof8231

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been messing around with long exposure night time photography a bit lately. Not that I don't absolutely love sport photography, because I do and it's my passion first and foremost, but sometimes I feel it can get a bit redundant, so I like to come back to the more "artistic" side of photography if you will. CC always welcome. I'm not very good at this kind of photography but I kind of like how this one turned out. I know the foreground isn't anything special, but I was just messing around in my backyard.

Star Trail Fisheye by SteveH8231, on Flickr

Body: 6D
Lens: Sigma 15mm f/2.8 diagonal fisheye
Set up on Manfrotto tripod/ball head.
124x 30 second exposures. Stacked in Photoshop.

I do the same thing. My passion is surf and wave photography but there aren't always waves so I branch out and try other stuff. I like it of course you have lot of light pollution but since you were just messing around in your yard you knew that. Nice star trails though.

Last edited:
Fantastic shot of the star trails :)

Would you consider turning into a black and white? I think it would look more natural without the color shift. But very nice shot.

I had better results when I cranked the white balance in the blue direction. It made the image more cool in appearance and look more nightly.

I do the same thing. My passion is surf and wave photography but there aren't always waves so I branch out and try other stuff. I like it of course you have lot of light pollution but since you were just messing around in your yard you knew that. Nice star trails though.

Yeah, there's way too much light pollution in my area to really make this kind of photography work. Point the camera south, I pick up pollution from Philly. Point the camera North/Northeast and I get pollution from Trenton, NJ. Still fun to mess around with, though.

Great shot!! Nice work.

Thank you!

Fantastic shot of the star trails :)

Thanks! I've been messing around with the settings a lot tot ry to get decent star trails even with all the surrounding lights.

Would you consider turning into a black and white? I think it would look more natural without the color shift. But very nice shot.

Thanks! I'll try messing around with it in Photoshop and see how I can make it look in B+W.

Very nice shot...You inspired me. Thank you.

I appreciate it, and I'm glad i could help :)

I had better results when I cranked the white balance in the blue direction. It made the image more cool in appearance and look more nightly.

Thanks for the tip! I do have a lot of trouble with the sky. Not sure if it's the light pollution or more so that I'm just not very experienced with this kind of photography. I'll definitely give that a try!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back