Start of a project 365, harsh C&C plz

K.Li

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, since it's the new year I decided to start a project 365 (1 photo a day). Here is the very first entry, since I haven't been able to go out lately I could only do something at home.

All C&C are welcome even if its harsh, I am determined to improve in photography and hopefully one day it will return the favour and become my way of making a living.

4232872909_3ea7ae4e82_b.jpg

This is a really good idea! I think I'll do this as well! Just made the new set on my Flickr.

Anyways, nice shot, very simple however.

I like your idea, and love the reasoning. I think i'll try this as well, if you don't mind.

Glad to know that it inspires others to start as well, I saw this being done somewhere else and decided to start my own, so of course I won't mind at all.

We should share our flikr so we could check up on each other everday to see what we can come up with.

The specular highlight is right on top of the logo. Causes the top of the letter B to be lost on the right side. Move light another 15 degrees and use a fill card on the right side would give roughly the same lighting volume and shadow defintion, and move the specular highlight out of the middle of the word. Alternatives would be to move the light position up or down. Composition is OK for this type of shot. Good use of negative space to isolate your subject.

We should share our flikr so we could check up on each other everday to see what we can come up with.

Good idea. I've asked my wife to come up with ideas, but she is having a tough time.

I'll put a link to my flickr in my sig.

Okay total Newbie question here. How did you get the image to expose well and get the completely black background? Is it just a black curtain?

I like the effect but I'm curious what it is.

Might be black poster board. Just a guess though.

I had been planning on doing a 356 project about a month ago. I too just started today, and the link to the gallery is in my sig, if you're interested.

Would it be worth it to start a thread just for the 365 project? One picture a day from each one participating?

Okay total Newbie question here. How did you get the image to expose well and get the completely black background? Is it just a black curtain?

I like the effect but I'm curious what it is.

It's all about the light... The background could be anything...Black makes it easier, but it's not necessary.

Make sure light doesn't spill on it. You can use anything to block light from the source to the background, but my favorite tools are foam core and black velvet. Also what you're using to light your subject has a lot to do with it... snoots, grids, softboxes all control spill in one form or another. Simply not having ANYTHING for a ways in the background with sufficiently high shutter speed and no ambient light will render a background nearly black.

i remember i started mine a one or two months ago... :p glad to know more and more people are starting it.

on the photo:
i love what you did with the lighting, but i think it could be a few stops brighter! otherwise, it's kinda cool how you got everything other than the... ball of... perfume (whatever it is) to be the only thing lit! i love photos like that. good start :p

Yeah I wasn't too happy with the lightning but it wasn't planned and I was just mucking around using my phones LED light so it wasn't ideal, more of a pratice of theory for future shots of the type.

Day 2:
4236391474_7b922cacbc_b.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back