Start off Online course in Photography ?

Alex Walker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello guys, I a new here, and beside Networking, Photography is my hobby. And i wish to so some courses on it, when i do have some free time. But If it is from a college or a Uni, then it would also help me in the future, if i plan on taking my photography dream to a money making one. :allteeth:HAHA..

I live in the UK, but for online courses i don't think location does matter. However if it is from a UK college or uni, then it would be nice.

May be a good article on 101 of photography would also give some insight. Just share if you guys have come across anything which could help a beginner out. :1219:

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Thank you weepete, for mentioning this course. I will check it out :encouragement:

Perhaps my free youtube photography course would be a good starter? It will not get you far enough to photograph professionally, but you have to start somewhere.
Talking about becoming a pro: these days I would at least have a plan b. Times are changing big time!

Perhaps my free youtube photography course would be a good starter? It will not get you far enough to photograph professionally, but you have to start somewhere.
Talking about becoming a pro: these days I would at least have a plan b. Times are changing big time!

Thank you photo1x1, You are correct youtube is actually a good place to start. And you think these days its very tough to compete against the high end professionals out there??

Alex, I don´t want to be a party pooper. I love photography, I´m doing this as a job and I would like more people to be able to enjoy that. That´s why I created the above mentioned course.

However: expect it to be difficult, and consider a plan B!!!

Here is my take on why:

With the advance of the internet and technique in cameras, competition is increasing heavily. Many photographers couldn´t earn their living in the past. And competition is getting even tougher.

Today it is easier to learn photography than ever before. You find lots of material online, so you don´t have to pay for it, it is quick and rather easy. Logically, more people will want to become photographers, and even more, will have their own skills improved and don´t feel the need to hire photographers anymore. So more photographers, fewer customers.

With the advance in technology, photography has also become easier and will become even easier in the next few years. AI technology is conquering cameras these days, making obtaining focus a breeze. It wasn´t like that a few decades ago!!! An example for AI in photography and video is DJIs Osmo Pocket. A device with a gimbal included - it will detect your face, focus on it and keep it in the frame while you are moving. With some Sony cameras, you can register faces and the camera will recognize and prioritize them. The technology in this area has just begun and I´m sure many here int he forum will disagree, but I don´t think you can stop AI in photography.

Talking about AI: digitalization is a big factor in this too. Many people will lose their jobs due to machines doing it instead of them. That´s a fact (doesn´t have to be a bad one though - just depends on how politics will prepare our world for it). Many of those people losing their jobs will have to start from scratch with education. They will most likely choose something they love doing. Well, and photography is popular so there will be another surge of new photographers some time in the not so distant future.

One more about equipment: it is becoming cheaper and cheaper - another reason why more and more people can get decent equipment.

Not too long ago there were no real third party speedlights, so you had to buy Canon or Nikon. Today you get a ton of third-party speedlights for 20% or less of the cost. And they work. You can even use them wirelessly - for very little money.

Same with studio lighting. It used to cost you a fortune. Today it is rather easily affordable.

So to sum things up: I don´t want to destroy anybody's dream, quite the contrary - I always want to motivate people to pick up photography. But if you are young and try to find a profession for most of your life that will feed your family: reconsider it and have a plan B.

Alex, I don´t want to be a party pooper. I love photography, I´m doing this as a job and I would like more people to be able to enjoy that. That´s why I created the above mentioned course.

However: expect it to be difficult, and consider a plan B!!!

Here is my take on why:

With the advance of the internet and technique in cameras, competition is increasing heavily. Many photographers couldn´t earn their living in the past. And competition is getting even tougher.

Today it is easier to learn photography than ever before. You find lots of material online, so you don´t have to pay for it, it is quick and rather easy. Logically, more people will want to become photographers, and even more, will have their own skills improved and don´t feel the need to hire photographers anymore. So more photographers, fewer customers.

With the advance in technology, photography has also become easier and will become even easier in the next few years. AI technology is conquering cameras these days, making obtaining focus a breeze. It wasn´t like that a few decades ago!!! An example for AI in photography and video is DJIs Osmo Pocket. A device with a gimbal included - it will detect your face, focus on it and keep it in the frame while you are moving. With some Sony cameras, you can register faces and the camera will recognize and prioritize them. The technology in this area has just begun and I´m sure many here int he forum will disagree, but I don´t think you can stop AI in photography.

Talking about AI: digitalization is a big factor in this too. Many people will lose their jobs due to machines doing it instead of them. That´s a fact (doesn´t have to be a bad one though - just depends on how politics will prepare our world for it). Many of those people losing their jobs will have to start from scratch with education. They will most likely choose something they love doing. Well, and photography is popular so there will be another surge of new photographers some time in the not so distant future.

One more about equipment: it is becoming cheaper and cheaper - another reason why more and more people can get decent equipment.

Not too long ago there were no real third party speedlights, so you had to buy Canon or Nikon. Today you get a ton of third-party speedlights for 20% or less of the cost. And they work. You can even use them wirelessly - for very little money.

Same with studio lighting. It used to cost you a fortune. Today it is rather easily affordable.

So to sum things up: I don´t want to destroy anybody's dream, quite the contrary - I always want to motivate people to pick up photography. But if you are young and try to find a profession for most of your life that will feed your family: reconsider it and have a plan B.

Thank you very much photo1x1, Thank you for pouring out the truth about the industry an everything. This advise is very useful for me and i know for many other noobs who are trying to start out in photography. Your advise in it's entirety is correct. It is a good idea to have a plan B.
It is good have a senior members guidance in such a topic. I will follow photography as a hobby , but will gain more knowledge on it. And will see how it goes.
And your post is not demotivating at all, like you said , it is the complete opposite. it motivates beginners like me .
Thank you again photo1x1:trink39:

I can´t really say if it is the truth, Alex. It is my view of things. Enjoy the ride either way - you´ll love it ;)
Well you made a lot of valid point thou.. Thanks again . I hope i will love it. :angel:;)

Most reactions

Back