Starter Portraiture advice

Lyricaniysha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I asked a few weeks ago for advice on a first DSLR camera from all of you. After much consideration, (I'm currently enrolled to start school minoring in photography, majoring in business) I decided the Nikon D-700 would be a good start DSLR. I ordered it today!

Now I'm eyeing lens, trying to make some starter decisions yet again. My main subjects will be children, babies, family, senior etc. as I mentioned earlier, I'm first year student, but I'm committed to making a career out of photography. That said, I'm not shooting any gigs anytime soon, but will be building a portfolio in the areas I mentioned, so I want a lens that will do me justice, or lens collection rather (because one lens doesn't truly do it all)

So, please, suggestions! I appreciate all of your expertise!

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Photos OK to edit
How much do you want to spend? If your pockets are deep enough, the 24-70 f2.8 is, IMO, the BEST Nikon GP lens going, but it's not cheap, running around $1700 new.

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Photos OK to edit
Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8 AF-D for $300 used. Then a 24mm f/2.8 AF-D prime for wide stuff. For a telephoto...any number of 85mm lenses, or the older but still excellent 105mm f/2.5 Ai or Ai-S.

The 24-70 is HUGE, and heavy, and expensive. The 35-70 weighs like 23 ounces...basically, a pound and a half. The D700's 12 MP sensor cannot really "leverage" ultra-high-performance lenses...it does not have enough resolution to leverage high-end glass. It's still a fine imager, but there's little real,pressing need to spend $1700 on one lens when the camera is not really up to it.

Mike_E

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
Photos OK to edit
You didn't mention a budget nor prior experience/prefered distance to subject so let's go with filling out a basic kit.

1) A fifty. A $125 50mm f1.8 AF-D is fine here and usable on most Nikons that you're likely to be using (including film cameras which at some point you're going to dabble in). The AF-S may be a little better and you might want the 1.4 but you can put the 1.8 AF-D in your pocket and move along with your day.

2) A 70/80-200mm f2.8. The 70-200mm Vll is a spectacular lens and you can shoot everything to portraits to some sports with this. I don't use mine nearly as much as I thought when I bought it but you do have to have one in your kit or you'll be turning down business -as Peace would say, "Bad, Not Good!".*

3) Something wide, how wide is up to you as is how much you're willing to schlep around. I have a Tokina 17-35 that I'm fond of but again beyond having the ability the means is up to you.

4) A medium telephoto. You can use the long end of a medium zoom or get an 85mm or a 105mm. F2.8 should be the least you should get here.

That's about it, you can do most of what you'll do with these. If you go with primes then just get a better pair of shoes- and you're going to need a pretty good pair to start with.

Good luck

*Ralph Bakshi's Wizards

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

ClickASnap

New Topics