Starting a darkroom... Advice??

The 'cheap and cheerful' way (no real darkroom needed):
Buy a changing bag (affectionately called 'nuns knickers') to load your film into a daylight processing tank. I have often loaded tanks under the bedclothes ( with the curtains drawn or at night).
Processing your film can then take place in the kitchen or bathroom.
For printing, put a board across the bath (making sure it won't slip) for the enlarger to stand on. Use an extension cable for power.
Put the processing trays in the bath.
Do your printing at night - if you have neon street lights they make a perfect safe light.
But it is easy to black a window out temporarily.
I had one bathroom where I covered the windows with dark red cellophane. During the day it made a perfect safelight.
It is easy to do home processing on the cheap without a permanent darkroom and manage to come up with decent results. You just have to be creative.

Hertz van Rental said:
...if you have neon street lights they make a perfect safe light.
Are these, like... ordinary neons or specifically "street" ones? Cause i have some plain indoors neons... i guess it's not the same thing, is it?

Not that this really matters but I think they're sodium not neon. Neon lights may not work.

But maybe I'm wrong. Hertz usually knows best just thought I'd point it out.

Daniel said:
Not that this really matters but I think they're sodium not neon. Neon lights may not work.

But maybe I'm wrong. Hertz usually knows best just thought I'd point it out.
In this case Hertz is wrong - I did mean Sodium Vapour Lights. One of those mental blocks where you forget a word and substitute something broccoli.

Thanks for the correction.
(I might be mistaken but I'm never wrong :lol: )

hmmm, that sucks, I don't have the sodium ones... but then again, there's also an ordinaty light bulb which i can replace with a red one. And i don't have windows in the bathroom :D

...Hertz was wrong? Did somebody note that, cause we're having an histroric moment now ;)

Also might be a good idea to practise and practise loading an old/used/duff film onto a spiral during daylight and look how it works and how it feeds etc. I found this the most difficult aspect to get right at first. You can easily kink, drop, scratch the film if not done correctly. The rest of film processing is easy, as long as you can read a thermometer and tell the time.

Enlarging is an art and it would pay to go to a class or two if you can.

Oh and at some point you DEFINITELY WILL fog a whole box of paper so it's always good to keep a spare on hand :mrgreen:

There's definitely something magical about the darkroom (but you'll still have more control using PS).

Good luck :thumbup:

It really works, just make certain that when you get into the bathroom and close the door, you seal it all around. It would be best if you had an overhead exhaust fan also. I use to develop retina films and it was in a make shift closet so I know the duct tape works.

I also planned step by step and practiced with the lights on and then the lights off as to where my reels were when I took them out of the camera.

It was very exciting. You will, I'm sure, enjoy developing film as much as taking the pictures. It's wonderful seeing your hard work come to life!!

Good Luck!:D

heh, the tape's a great idea, thanks!
and yes, i'm very excited about all this... but unfortunately it may take several month before i get all i need and get it all settled... but i'm soooooo looking forward to then :biggrin:

A curtain over the door is a better idea.
Duct tape is not re-useable, will possibly damage the paintwork and will be reasonably air tight. You need to allow air to get into the room freely - especially if you have an extractor fan - so that you can get ventilation. Using photographic chemicals in an enclosed space without ventilation is a very bad idea.
A curtain is also quicker to rig - a few thumb tacks (drawing pins) on the top of the door frame will hold it.

Read this thread and the links in it before you start.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19002
Photochemistry is only safe if you take the right precautions and it's best to know what you are getting yourself into so you don't take any unnecessary risks.
The same goes for anyone considering doing darkroom - whether you have done it before or not.

Are tanks and reels universal in size so a reel from one company will fit the the tank of another? (35mm)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back