Starting a photo club

gstaska

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I live in a very rural part of northern Minnesota and have a great area to take pics in. I am by no means a "professional" purely this is a great passionate hobby of mine.
I would like advice on starting a photo club here in my area. I know there Are others that share my interest as well.I've already thought to do a monthly project as well as trying to get in a few different speakers during the year. I want this to be a success and be able to help myself and others grow in this field. Any ideas and or suggestions would be wonderful!

The first thing you'll need is a venue. For small clubs, a member's living room can be sufficient, or a local coffee shop. Some towns have halls that they make available to non-profit groups as do churches. Next is membership. Put a notice in the 'Community Events' area of your local 'paper (usually free) as well as notices in any stores that sell camera equiment. I would also consider local stores and definitely get an on-line presence. Search the term "meet-up group". This is an International network for people wanting to do just this sort of thing. I belong to a very successful photographic meet-up group. Good luck!

I need to find me a crew in my area.

Public Libraries are a good place to find cheap or free meeting rooms. You can advertise your group on Meetup.com

I need to find me a crew in my area.

I need to find a crew too. I would rather do something like switch houses rather than waste $$$ on renting some place. Kinda like Bunco night.....we all take turns using each others homes.

Thanks, we have the flyer and a monthly meeting place at our local library.
Trying to find out ideas for our meetings.

My other question is membership dues, yes or no? Thoughts on using the money is for funding future guest speakers as well as outings.

You will need to attract seasoned photographers to pass on knowledge, as well as beginners, in our club there are different groups, slide, AV,Digital i'm setting up a studio group i have done a few demonstrations and talks and set up portrait shoots got another next week

I need someone to teach me a bit more :) I mean I understand the basics such as the exposure triangle (Aperture, ISO, Shutter), Metering, White balance. Right now I have a kit (18-55mm) for my T2i and also a Prime 50mm EF 1.8 II Lens. Just dont know where to start :)

I need someone to teach me a bit more :) I mean I understand the basics such as the exposure triangle (Aperture, ISO, Shutter), Metering, White balance. Right now I have a kit (18-55mm) for my T2i and also a Prime 50mm EF 1.8 II Lens. Just dont know where to start :)
You've got a start, just keep moving ahead.

Here are some other things you will need to know:

Digital Photography Tutorials

and start a study of visual image compostion.

Most reactions

Back