Starting a photography biz....

bellacat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wildroseportraitphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently seriously started thinking about starting a photography biz. Honestly its something i have thought about for years but it wasn't until a few months ago that i have felt confident enough to jump into it.

I have only mentioned this idea to a few friends and family. I know a few people who have started portfolio building sessions but for some reason i feel i should have a portfolio put together before i start asking others to give me money of any kind so i have been recruiting neighbors and friends to allow me to take their photos for free in exchange for them to allow me to use the photos in my gallery.

I can't afford to spend $400-800 on a fancy professional photo gallery but i do intend to purchase a professional gallery template this week once i purchase a domain for the biz.

what kind of advise can you give a newbie like myself?

Well, you could start by clicking on the link that appears at the top of many of these pages for photo gallery templates... that has the added bonus of helping The Photo Forum owners pay their bills.

Start shooting other people's children. Seriously I don't want to sound like a jerk but if you intend on starting any kind of business you need to build up more than a group of shots of what looks like the same kids over and over. Try finding some friends and shoot their kids for free it will be great experience and will get you some images to use. Also if you plan to shoot weddings try to shoot the same way do you have any friends getting married can you shoot some shots there mabye over the pro's shoulder not literally of course but you need a bigger varietey of images.

Start shooting other people's children. Seriously I don't want to sound like a jerk but if you intend on starting any kind of business you need to build up more than a group of shots of what looks like the same kids over and over. Try finding some friends and shoot their kids for free it will be great experience and will get you some images to use. Also if you plan to shoot weddings try to shoot the same way do you have any friends getting married can you shoot some shots there mabye over the pro's shoulder not literally of course but you need a bigger varietey of images.
No you didn't sound like a jerk at all. :) I'm in the process of getting my variety building by doing just that, shooting photos of friends for free.

Most reactions

Back