Starting BA(hons) photography at University! (need advice)

Oronare

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am starting university next september (and have been having interviews etc now so i know i will be going :D)

So cameras are in order! At the moment i am using a 350d borrowed from my college, so i will need to get my own.

Whilst having a chat with various people i have come to the conclusion that i will be getting a Nikon F4 or 5 and a Nikon D80 or D200. Basically because of the lens compatibility and not having to mess around with pre EOS and post EOS with Canon. not that i don't like canon, i have used a 30D and liked it...but still.

My question is, which lenses do you recommend?

I will be buying my cameras with an extra bit on my uni fees loan, and various other grants and government financial help....

So i probably have around 500-1000£ to spend on lenses, flash, filters etc...lenses probably being the biggest investment of them all.

So any recommendations? :D

well what types of things do you plan on shooting? landscapes, sports, macro...this will help us give you lens suggestions.

well what types of things do you plan on shooting? landscapes, sports, macro...this will help us give you lens suggestions.

Pretty much anything from landscapes, to portraiture, to macro, documentary and night shots.

I do not really intend to shoot sports, not my thing.

I am sure i will refine my preferences over the years in the degree but it would be good to have a wide range to begin.

I do not understand why you worked with Canon and now want to buy Nikon. It's not like you're going to run into oodles of pre EOS lenses on store shelves...lmfao.

I think that's a silly reason to limit your purchase to Nikon.

Either way...invest in a 50mm 1.8 Perfect for the student budget, and a quality piece of glass.

Personally I would try and get in touch with one fo the professors from the university to see what he reccommends for different focal lengths that may be useful for your courses. Also I would not discount the Canons consider this if this is your going to be your chosen profession, you'll most likely be buying the new and better lens then lookng backwards for bargains.

Personally I would try and get in touch with one fo the professors from the university to see what he reccommends for different focal lengths that may be useful for your courses. Also I would not discount the Canons consider this if this is your going to be your chosen profession, you'll most likely be buying the new and better lens then lookng backwards for bargains.

Im not going to be buying new for a long time.

I already have a Nikon 35mm SLR so it would be pretty pointless going back over to Canon when i have a lens already for my older Nikon.

I personally prefer the 80d and 200d over the EOS series, just a personal preference as theyre both pretty much the same.

I didn't really want to debate Canon Vs Nikon....just wondering the range of lenses i should be looking into.

thanks

I'd find out what equipment the Uni uses.
When I was going to go to Falmouth, they said that they only stocked Nikon Cameras and accessories, which meant myself as a canon user had to rent or buy my own equipment, where as Nikon users could use all the Uni's excellent equipment without charge.

Im not going to be buying new for a long time.

I already have a Nikon 35mm SLR so it would be pretty pointless going back over to Canon when i have a lens already for my older Nikon.

I personally prefer the 80d and 200d over the EOS series, just a personal preference as theyre both pretty much the same.

I didn't really want to debate Canon Vs Nikon....just wondering the range of lenses i should be looking into.

thanks

You kinda left that part out in the beginning...lol.

Then ya you should stick with Nikon.

One lens that I would love to own if I had a Nikon is the 18-200VR...that lens is awesome. Covers all your regularly used focal length...nothing super fast, but who cares?

Then you get a 50mm 1.8, and perhaps a macro, and a super wide angle....and you have all the basic necessities of all around photography.

OH, and polarizer filters....that'd be good.

ooo what unis you looking at :D Im appying for next year (doing the interviews and stuff atm)!

Ive applied to: Plymouth, Falmouth, Brighton and University of Arts london

Yeah im having interviews also :)

Falmouth, Uni of Arts london, Blackpool school of art and Uni of central lancs (because its close....and my backup just in case :D)

The annoying thing is, Falmouth want a whole new lot of work, and send three themes you can follow.....needs to be sent to them by February next year. :( too much work this year.

I would look for a used 18-70.
It was a kit lens for the D200 and, although semi-slow, it is wonderfully sharp and a bargain.
Add a 50 mm 1.8 and you have two excellent lenses for under $300 US total.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back