Starting photographer, which camera to buy?

GypsySoull

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,
So I am buying a camera soon, used from Craiglist and have four camera options. They are all the same price. They are: Olympus Evolt E-510, Nikon D50, Canon XTi, and Sony Alpha A200.
so which is better in terms of image quality, service etc?
Feedback appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Image quality is based on photographer knowledge and skill.

The 3 cameras mentioned will deliver pretty much equal image quality when used by the same photographer.

The Olympus has a 2x crop sensor, and a few lenses/accessories available for it Olympus E-510 EVOLT Review: Digital Photography Review
The Nikon has a 1.5x crop sensor, and a lot of lenses/accessories available for it. Nikon D50 Review: Digital Photography Review
The Sony has a 1.6x crop sensor, and a fair number of lenses/accessories available for it. Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Review: Digital Photography Review (The Sony a200 is essentially a Konica Minolta and can use Minolta lenses. Sony bought Konica Minolta's camera and film business in 2006.)

Of the 3 - i would probably get the Olympus. But I have a Nikon D50.

The E-510 has an abysmally poor viewfinder image. AWFUL. The D50 is a bit better. The A200 is a Sony. Wow... Of these, I would buy the Nikon.

I owned the Sony a300 which really is a slightly modified a200, for the time it was a very good camera.
Saying that I wouldnt get any of them, I would save up a bit more and get a Nikon D3100 or maybe even Nikon D3200

You DO realize you also need lenses for system cameras, yes ? A naked Nikon D50 cant make any pictures at all. Thus you'll need at least one lens, too.

Also, I cant help but point out that no matter which price you're paying for a D50, nowadays its basically always overpriced. Thats because that thing is just entry level build quality, rather ancient for a DSLR now (published 2006), thus who knows how long it will last ? If for example the shutter dies, such an old camera will be a goner for good.

The two advantages of the D50 are:

- It comes with an AF motor. Something other entry level DSLRs from Nikon do not have
- Flash sync at 1/500 sec thanks to an electronic shutter. Apparently, with trickery, you can even get to 1/4000 sec flash sync (basically the camera has to think there is no flash at all)

Technically you could probably fabricate a pinhole, but, yeah.

It's possible you need to do more general research, OP. Just learn a little about cameras in general, without worrying too much about specific models and so on. Don't worry, craigslist will always have a generous handful of out of date cameras available cheap. No need to rush in to anything.

Do you have a budget? It's possible to get a newer (often refurbished... but from the manufacturer so the refurbished camera actually includes a warranty) DSLR camera for a few hundred dollars. Canon's lowest entry-level DSLR is $350 (refurbished) and Nikon's lowest price point for a refurbished DSLR is about $400.

This would put you much farther ahead.

With these older bodies you are looking at, you'll find that in dim lighting, you are limited to how much you can push up the ISO sensitivity before the images have a lot of "noise" in them. All cameras will perform well when the lighting is great.

A camera with a more recent sensor design is going to be MUCH better regardless of which manufacturer makes it.

Tim Campbell is really giving you good advice: all three of those cameras have very old sensor technology in them, compared to what is available today. The Xti and the D50 have ooooold sensor tech, and the E-510...OMG, my favorite pawnshop had an E-510 a couple years ago, priced suuuuper-cheap....I looked at it, and the viewfinder was simply rubbish...a teeny-tiny viefinder, and a tiny, poor sensor were the E-510's hallmarks.

I owned a Canon Xti, which I got very cheap when Ritz Camera went into bankruptcy, and it had very poor ISO 800 performance, and 400 ISO was only so-so compared to the Canon 5D I was shooting at the time.

If you can swing it, one of the new-generation $349 WalMart Nikon + lens packages would be a decent bet. Try to get something made during at least the first Obama administration...not a camera from the George W. Bush era...

Do you have a budget? It's possible to get a newer (often refurbished... but from the manufacturer so the refurbished camera actually includes a warranty) DSLR camera for a few hundred dollars. Canon's lowest entry-level DSLR is $350 (refurbished) and Nikon's lowest price point for a refurbished DSLR is about $400.

This would put you much farther ahead.

With these older bodies you are looking at, you'll find that in dim lighting, you are limited to how much you can push up the ISO sensitivity before the images have a lot of "noise" in them. All cameras will perform well when the lighting is great.

A camera with a more recent sensor design is going to be MUCH better regardless of which manufacturer makes it.

Hi, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my budget is quite low. I usually use my aunts Nikon rebel xt or powershot when I get the chance but..right now I just want a start-off camera until I get better at it.

Don't overlook the Pentax lineup. Right now at B&H the K-500 with an 18-55mm lens is on sale for $399. It'll be as good as any entry level DSLR and you can fit any lens Pentax has ever made which gives you a wide selection of used lenses to choose from. Just my two cents. :roll:

Most reactions

Back