I have almost always put the enlarger where I can reach over to the developer tray with the paper in my right hand. This has always worked in my personal darkrooms as nobody is using the enlarger again until I have that print fixed. My last setup had the enlarger where your drying area is and then in your dry area I had the trays and I had the paper in what was my dry area to my left. Always used storage that was below and above the work areas.

Where you have the cupboard I would put the rack to dry the RC paper, across from the door. So I have my paper and enlarger as far from the door as possible. But that will depend some on the plumbing and possibly the electrical as that can fix some items to a certain area.

I have a drum dryer that was part of a used set of darkroom equipment given to me, half of it was corroded but could still dry an 11x17 print, and that was just about the only size I ever did with non-RC paper.

Yeah thats a good idea, I have been playing around with the layout a little and now leaning towards more of an 'L' shape set up for the dry side and wet side. That way I can have the enlarger in the corner and then on the next straight I will have the developer tray within arms reach.

That's another good point about the drying rack placement just in case (God forbid) someone walks in whilst developing is happening! I will have lots of space below and above the workbenches so I'll definitely allow for a paper safe for the photographic paper.

Very lucky to have a drum dryer! I think RC paper sounds easier, cheaper and also less time waiting for my prints.

Thanks a lot for all the help,

Jack

Yeah that does make sense, does it affect the print if it's pegged or doesn't matter when it's drying?
Jack

One gentleman I learned from had a series of fiberglass (not metal) window screens that he laid the prints on to dry.

Oh, one other thing ... I don't see a beer fridge in your blue print. That's a show-stopper, pal.

Most reactions

Back