Stefani

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend put together a shoot recently with a local MUA and model and asked if I wanted to come. I don't generally photograph beauty or makeup so it was a new experience for me lol.

_DSC6345-Edit-Edit.jpg

_DSC6383-Edit-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the look of these. Different and very Pop Art like to my eyes. Thanks for sharing.

I haven't posted much (maybe at all?) on your threads, but I've really been enjoying your photography recently. You are capturing the beauty and essence of so many different types of people. Great stuff.

The lighting is nice, and technically speaking it's good photography, but I have some notes as far as possibly achieving better beauty images.

The editing to me is too high in contrast, creating a "harder" look, when I personally believe that beauty images should portray more softness than what these are portraying. What I would do is reduce the contrast, and reduce the saturation to create softer tones and softer transitions between colors. The high saturated reds in particular give the appearance of irritated skin, which does not say "beauty" to me.

Conceptually I'm confused by the look of the first image. The makeup to me looks like a mix between a bad rash, a burn, and glass stuck in her skin. Again, to me none of these things portray "beauty" to me.

I like the concept of the image in the water and see much more potential for it in terms of a beauty portrait. Just think about reducing the contrast and saturation so that it achieves a softer look. Another thing that I tend to do with most portraits, especially beauty portraits, is to communicate to the model that they are not to press into their skin if they place their fingers on their face. You can achieve the appearance of touching the face without actually touching it and creating indentations in the skin.

I would also recommend dodging the contour makeup in the second image, just to give it smoother transitions into the skin that way it looks like a cheekbone shadow rather than makeup.

These are just so " thinking out of the box " that I actually like them. I think ( and hope ) your intention with your edit was to create a different " beauty " shot than Dan is alluding to above, non-stereotypical is what I mean I suppose. Very good stuff. Your avatar says " Don't judge a book by it's cover " when viewed with your work. Very cool concepts you have!

The lighting is nice, and technically speaking it's good photography, but I have some notes as far as possibly achieving better beauty images.

The editing to me is too high in contrast, creating a "harder" look, when I personally believe that beauty images should portray more softness than what these are portraying. What I would do is reduce the contrast, and reduce the saturation to create softer tones and softer transitions between colors. The high saturated reds in particular give the appearance of irritated skin, which does not say "beauty" to me.

Conceptually I'm confused by the look of the first image. The makeup to me looks like a mix between a bad rash, a burn, and glass stuck in her skin. Again, to me none of these things portray "beauty" to me.

I like the concept of the image in the water and see much more potential for it in terms of a beauty portrait. Just think about reducing the contrast and saturation so that it achieves a softer look. Another thing that I tend to do with most portraits, especially beauty portraits, is to communicate to the model that they are not to press into their skin if they place their fingers on their face. You can achieve the appearance of touching the face without actually touching it and creating indentations in the skin.

I would also recommend dodging the contour makeup in the second image, just to give it smoother transitions into the skin that way it looks like a cheekbone shadow rather than makeup.

Thanks for the feedback. I did notice the nails after the fact. Will have to keep it in mind in the future. Does this look better.
_DSC6383-Edit-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back