Stems and Shawdow -What's Wrong

drdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thegoodsleepstore.com
I really liked the stems in this picture but it just won't come together. The bud below is too obtrusive and at the same time not in proper focus. Is that the main problem or is there something else?

Copy-of-DSC09151.jpg

Yeah the stems and the green leaf look really nice, but the bud itself is a little soft. I think the worst distraction for me tho is the large shape at the top, not sure if that's a leaf or another flower...

I'm with Orie.
The large spot in the upper corners is the distraction. I kinda like the buds, even if they are a bit soft.

It would be an excellent shot without the big shadows.

Bright green and blood red, I see veins and pods, and dark, ominous shapes hovering above! :shock:

It's an interesting image, although it seems sort of strange and alien, rather than natural, which is what I think was intended. The leaf and stems seem to be in fairly sharp focus, while both buds appear a bit soft even though the front one seems like it should be within the DOF. Subject movement, wind possibly? Overall though, I think it's the large dark shapes that make the image seem odd. Lighting them up might help. Even if out of focus if they were identifiable by color as leaves or buds then I think it would come across more natural.

Again, I forgot about different monitor configurations. I don't see any shapes in the upper left of the picture, only black. This was actually an inadvertant underexposure on a bright sunny day but I liked the stems.

Most reactions

Back