Stephen's Macro Thread =)

Wow, the balloon shots are really cool, all these are great....I gotta say I noticed your equipment and I saw your using the D3000, good camera but no where near top of the line... your living proof that its not the tools, its the carpender.

Here are some macros from around my town. 1:1 ratio.
5344591032_b84356cb09_z.jpg

5344588740_477dc2e393_z.jpg

5343975627_62c1463727_z.jpg

Wow, the balloon shots are really cool, all these are great....I gotta say I noticed your equipment and I saw your using the D3000, good camera but no where near top of the line... your living proof that its not the tools, its the carpender.
Its more so the lens than the camera. While the D3000 is limiting, it is doable, but a macro lens is almost a must!

Last edited:
id love a tutorial on how you did the water balloons...how do you capture it at the right moment? is someone else taking the pic?

YouTube - Stephencamyoyo's Channel

I have that video...its not really helpful. 4 second shutter speed, f/10, 200 iso.
Had an external flash, not connected to the camera what so ever, set it to 1/32 power or 1/64 forget, but just had to time the popping and hitting the flash button =)

What do you use for the off camera flash for the sb600? you think a Nikkor 85mm micro lens. Will work

What do you use for the off camera flash for the sb600? you think a Nikkor 85mm micro lens. Will work
I hold it in my left hand, and pop the balloon with my right. I just try to time it right. It took me about 5 balloons before I started to get hang of hitting the flash button at the right time. I dont use any sound / laser triggers.

Thanks again Frequency

Creative shots. Too many to cc but I enjoyed most of them.

EDIT: Sorry, hadn't noticed that there was a page two where the same questions is asked and answered.

The water balloons are wonderful, I just can't think of a way of timing the shot. How do you do that with an ordinary DSLR?

Last edited:
I hate to say it. But this type thread is good for ones who are on all the time to respond. Like me I can only get on once in a while now so I just can't keep up. I'll have to skip these types and look at others posts. Sorry. There have been others I have enjoyed their work very much and would love to comment but 3 pages later 15 pictures later 5 days later, it's not worth the hassle. I'll still try. Enjoyable shots! Just the thread type has downfalls.

I hate to say it. But this type thread is good for ones who are on all the time to respond. Like me I can only get on once in a while now so I just can't keep up. I'll have to skip these types and look at others posts. Sorry. There have been others I have enjoyed their work very much and would love to comment but 3 pages later 15 pictures later 5 days later, it's not worth the hassle. I'll still try. Enjoyable shots! Just the thread type has downfalls.
I see what you are saying, although I see my macro work as a whole, I dont think that each of my prior postings deserves its own thread. Maybe the spikey ball ones, but thats about it.

Ziggo, dont worry about it =) I often skip the text posts too ;)

Great shots, especially those water shots.

All good! I'll try to be more active too 

Great, inspiring shots!

This was pretty fun to do =)
I have 4 more on my flickr but this one is my favorite.
Enjoy =)
5362991992_14b1ba3fe1_b.jpg

Most reactions

Back