STILL undecided...

I went to the store today and held the D40 and XTi. The D40 was very comfortable and light, and the XTi was comfortable... They didn't have a D80 in stock sadly.

My parents also told me that they found some lenses for a nikon mount I believe... those will be coming later this evening.

Alright, I have these lenses now... And some old Nikon film SLR's... I'm not really sure if these lenses are worth anything now, or will even take some decent pictures.

The lenses are:

Zoom AF Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6G

AF Nikkor 28-80mm 3.5-5.6D

Vivitar 28-200mm Zoom Macro 3.5-5.3

There they are. If these lenses are worth anything, and will take semi decent pictures, then I will consider getting a D80 body, and using these lenses with it.

Alright, I have these lenses now... And some old Nikon film SLR's... I'm not really sure if these lenses are worth anything now, or will even take some decent pictures.

The lenses are:

Zoom AF Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6G

AF Nikkor 28-80mm 3.5-5.6D

Vivitar 28-200mm Zoom Macro 3.5-5.3

There they are. If these lenses are worth anything, and will take semi decent pictures, then I will consider getting a D80 body, and using these lenses with it.

Then get the D80, and possibly the 50mm 1.8 so you have a fast lens. Those lenses you have are pretty decent.

sweet, I'll wait for some more opinions before deciding.

Alright, I have been reading up on some reviews, and seems to me like these lenses aren't as good as I thought they were... What I really want to know is that will they take the same quality photo's, or better than the 18-55mm kit lens that comes with the D80?

Read MORE reviews. If I listened to every single review that I've read that I'd probably have 10,000 dollars worth of equipment before I was even comfortable with taking photos to begin with. I've come a long way since I started up again but the shots really wouldn't have been that different. What's making my shots better than they were is re-learning how to really be in control of my camera and utilize my surroundings. Buy what you can afford and realize that the person behind the camera is, IMO, the most important factor.

For learning there's nothing inheritably wrong with kit lenses. The 50mm f 1.8 is a 90 dollar lens where as the 18-55mm lens is 150? Get the body you can afford and get that 50mm lens and start shooting. Even the 18-55mm will give you more options but the 50mm will force you to me more creative since the zoom is basically you.

Keep reading more and more articles. Everyone here is helpful.

By the way. As of now I am using a rebel and I use the hell out of it. I'm looking to invest a lot in camera equipment within the next 3 years because I plan on doing it professionally but the 18-55mm and 50mm lenses are fine for what I need right now. Oh I also have 75-300mm kit lense and its not terrible either.

What I really want to know is that will they take the same quality photo's, or better than the 18-55mm kit lens that comes with the D80?

The nikon 18-55 kit lens is good lens, reduced price by nikon to fish out the fishes. It has visible distortion at 18mm (normal) but dissapearing quickly as you change the focal length.

If you intend to buy different lens or lenses on than do it in few months time. At this moment that is all what you need. I was a beginner like you barely 4 months ago therefore I bought the cheapest camera but with quality to feed the urge.

If you really are into photography sooner or later you will buy another camera anyway. If that is the case you can keep your first camera as a backup. But if you find out in the end that you are not really into photography than at least you have not spent much on it.

Stick with the logic and have fun.

Most reactions

Back