Still Waiting.....

usayit

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
North New Jersey, United States of America
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wondering in an area known for abandoned buildings and homes, I found what was once a beautiful peice of property. Heavily wooded area that opens up to a secluded meadow with a large home, garage, shed, and smaller dwelling at each corner. I checked out each of the buildings and practically tripped over this rusty chair set out in the middle of the meadow. It as such in a depressed state still waiting for its owner to return..... no other object during my visit had more to say...

121934253.jpg

I like this theme. One suggestion: I would have stopped it down as much as possible to get the chair and the old house in focus as much as possible.

I would have either used a higher f-stop, and got the whole thing in focus, or if you want to keep the house out of focus, I would have taken the pic a bit lower to the ground to bring the house into the background a bit more.

Great find, defintely a place to return to :)

My 'critique' is even to make the picture solely of the chair without the house in the background.

Yeah the house does seem distracting in this case... I like what you're trying to do though. My initial reaction was try to take the picture lower, and then maybe try with the house in focus, but in the end my guess is I would give up and try another angle without the house.

So, yeah, what they said... :lmao:

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Definitely a place I want to return for more shots. It was so quiet out there in the middle of the meadow and had such a strong sense of abandonment. Unfortunately, it wasn't an easy place to get to...

I must have spent a good hour composing and recomposing for that shot. The grass was literally up past my waist... hence why I practically fell over it as I was wondering around. I had to stomp around it a bit to get a nice clear shot. If you look closely, you can see the grass immediately next to the chair is somewhat flattened while the grass behind is up past the back of the chair.

I do have a shot or two with just the chair. I found that the chair by itself didn't convey the feeling I was looking for. Rusty chair in the middle of nowhere.... all forground and no depth.... nothing "lived-in" to offset it. The dwelling in the background is the old abandoned garage... not a house... and it was not all that pretty to look at. On the other hand, I loved the wood color and how it contrasts from the grass hence why I chose to incorporated it in a blurred background.

On my return trip, I'll have to plan on getting really low to the ground to bring the eye more to the chair itself. I was hoping to get out there after a good heavy snow. I bet that place looks pretty covered in undisturbed snow.

The theme/feeling here has really been exciting to focus on.. I've got a series going in an "informal" portfolio. If time permits, I'll post more from the series.

Cool shot. I like it. Sort of adds a bit of mystery with the building out of focus.

It's a great shot - I got it first time with the composition/dof. The only thing that you might do to improve it is to try and avoid the sudden drop-off of acceptable focus after the chair - maybe just one f-stop more dof??

Good job though!

Rob

Again thanks for the encouragement and feedback. I was browsing back through my archive of that day's shoot and found another shot of the same chair I'd like to share. It was shot with a wider angle focal length for less compression between the building in the background and forground. I was lower and closer which hopefully brings the eye more towards the chair itself.

Let me know what you all think....

122694238.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back