Stock Flash

thinkricky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a quick question. Does anyone use the flash that comes standard on the camera? When I try to use it, it seems too concentrated in a certain area. Or it just seems a bit off somehow.

Thanks

Ricky

Using a Canon Rebel T2 SLR.

I seldomly use it, IMHO, it is best to use it in a small room or to lit up shadows.. else, flash gun is for sure..

My thoughts exactly. Just checking how AND ifothers use it.

The pop up flash goes up on my camera when

a: i'm commanding SB600's for off camera lighting

b: someone else is using the camera and it's in one of the canned modes

c: daylight fill when I don't have the time or opportunity to use my SB's.

It's excellent for fill flash when you don't have the big gun handy.

And you can use it as the (IR) trigger for slaved flash guns.

I use it only when cornered by a Grue.

<cough>

In all seriousness, I do just about anything I can to avoid using it as it is almost invariably harsh and will throw harsh shadows.

You can always turn the power down a bit, or try to get creative with a business card to semi-bounce if off the ceiling, but... I'll usually even go to the extreme of just forgoing the picture rather than dealing with the result of the built-in.

I have to go along with the crowd here. If you want to use flas for your photography the last choice should be the pop-up flash. As you lredy said the flast is just too small to give you any real coverage.

Nice Zork reference.

The pop up's Guide Number is 43', a 580EX II is something like 165' iirc.

That means that the pop up flash will properly expose a subject at 43' as the max distance at full power. The 165' of the 580EX II speed light means the same thing at 165' (or whatever the correct number is.

The pop up flash just doesn't have the power. Any modifications to help with hard shadows also kill the power even more. It usually has bad fall off too, so you use it on some one in front of you and the background is dark.

It's more of a P&S type feature that moved over to the "lower end" cameras. You'll notice that pro cameras generally don't have a pop up.

I am feeling lazy and do not want to type it all in... lol

Read HERE. :)

Enjoy!

I am feeling lazy and do not want to type it all in... lol

Read HERE. :)

Enjoy!

JerryPH.... you have a nice blog..... no wonder you want noob's to google everything... they will end up at your site and you will become the next Ken Rockwell:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Great master plan!!

That means that the pop up flash will properly expose a subject at 43' as the max distance at full power. The 165' of the 580EX II speed light means the same thing at 165' (or whatever the correct number is.

Ever tried lighting a subject with the peanut flash at 43'? Or with the 580EX at 165'? Not a chance.
The real life, effective max. ranges are around 15 feet for the peanut flash, and around 30-35 feet for the 580EX.

Ever tried lighting a subject with the peanut flash at 43'? Or with the 580EX at 165'? Not a chance.
The real life, effective max. ranges are around 15 feet for the peanut flash, and around 30-35 feet for the 580EX.

I forgot the aperture part of the equation. You'd have to be using an f/1 to get those numbers.

With something like f/2.8 on the 580ex II, GN shows the max distance would be about 60'. I'm sure it's possible taking in to account the ability to zoom the flash. Then again, that's why they're called guide numbers and not exact numbers.

With something like f/2.8 on the 580ex II, GN shows the max distance would be about 60'. I'm sure it's possible taking in to account the ability to zoom the flash.

You're sure? Good you don't have Canon then. You'd be sorely disappointed.

Nice Zork reference.

I wondered if anyone would get that. :)

Nice entry, Jerry. (*bookmarks it and sends it to anyone who asks me about it forever and ever amen*) :hail:

Most reactions

Back