Storage of larger photos (8x10, 10x13)

Scotttyd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am an aspiring photographer (lol) - I go to a few shows here and there and sell a handful prints. My questions is that I like to rotate my better photos through my frames I have for display. What is the best way to store the unframed photos? I use matting and photo bags for the photos for sale, but don't necessarily want to pay for a disposable bag and matt if I plan on on taking it out of them in the future.

I also like to rotate which photos I have on display in my home. What is the best way to store these larger photos to protect them and avoid damage?

thanks

There are archival "sheet protectors" for the 8x10s available from photo stores; maybe something like an Itoya portfolio - I use one (11x17) for my map portflio (I'm a Cartographer/GIS Analyst).

I've never done it but have thought about part of it a couple of times. I would get some acid-free paper a few inches larger than needed. Number each sheet and place one sheet between each photo stacked flat. The numbers would correspond to small copies of the file in the computer. The stack would go in a plastic container that seals up.
I'd pick the ones to display using the small files - pull them out by the number on the sheet.

What is the best way to store the unframed photos? I use matting and photo bags for the photos for sale, but don't necessarily want to pay for a disposable bag and matt if I plan on on taking it out of them in the future.

I would store them exactly the same way you keep the matted prints you sell. Those bags are cheep, and having it already matted makes swapping out the photo in the frame that much easier. Plus if you decide you wont be putting that photo back in frame again you simply put in with the others that you sell.

What is the best way to store the unframed photos? I use matting and photo bags for the photos for sale, but don't necessarily want to pay for a disposable bag and mat if I plan on on taking it out of them in the future.

I would store them exactly the same way you keep the matted prints you sell. Those bags are cheep, and having it already matted makes swapping out the photo in the frame that much easier. Plus if you decide you wont be putting that photo back in frame again you simply put in with the others that you sell.
my only issue with this is I often used colored matting (most of my photos are underwater photos where the color matting gives it a better look, and when I sell, I generally just use generic white because you never know what someone wants - although maybe I would have better luck if I added color (with added cost). Where do you buy your bags and mats? want to be sure I am not over paying - I pay ~ $2 a photo for an 8 x 10 - use this site ClearBags - Promote, Protect and Preserve

Where do you buy your bags and mats? want to be sure I am not over paying - I pay ~ $2 a photo for an 8 x 10 - use this site ClearBags - Promote, Protect and Preserve

Price looks decent for mat and bag to me. But your building that into the price of the print so it should not be a big deal.

Personally I have NEVER been a fan of colored matted on photos. They just never look as good as the classic white.

Where do you buy your bags and mats? want to be sure I am not over paying - I pay ~ $2 a photo for an 8 x 10 - use this site ClearBags - Promote, Protect and Preserve

Price looks decent for mat and bag to me. But your building that into the price of the print so it should not be a big deal.

Personally I have NEVER been a fan of colored matted on photos. They just never look as good as the classic white.
thanks - just wanted options -for my house - I used color mats and white frames to give it a beach vibe look - I know for many other photos, classic white does look best - but if I am using want frames, and coral reef/tropic fish, I really like the color mats.

I just have an old map storage filing cabinet. It's bigger than I need, but the company was tossing them out. I would look for one of these in the used market (probably want to buy locally if you go this route). My sister keeps her mounted prints in portfolio bags.

Not for photos but I use this for art stuff (pads, pints, smaller canvas).

Most reactions

Back