storing photos on an external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by AndyH, Mar 3, 2018.

1. AndyH

AndyH TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Is it possible and/or a good idea to store all of my photos on an external hard drive connected via usb directly to my wifi router?

My reasoning for wanting to do this is:

1. I have a desktop pc that is not really powerful enough for editing but I still use for viewing and uploading photos.

2. I have laptop that I use for editing because it has an i7 2.2ghz with 8gb ram. However I do not want to store photos on my laptop because it doesn't have enough storage and it will not always be powered on.

3. I want my photos available regardless of whether the desktop is on or not. (will mostly be on unless rebooting for updates).

If I go this route, what is the best way to backup my photos? I would like for the network attached external hard drive to be automatically backed up to the internal drive on my desktop computer.

Any thoughts?

2. BrentC

BrentC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Get yourself a Samsng T5 SSD. It's tiny and fast and you can connect it to any laptop or pc. If you use LR then keep photos and catalogs on the SSD. I have a NAS on my network that I backup everything on the SSD to weekly.

3. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What would be the advantage for doing this?

4. AndyH

AndyH TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That may work but In order for it to automatically backup my photos I would have to leave it connected to my laptop and my laptop turned on right?

5. Jamesaz

Jamesaz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I stored my digital photos on an external hard drive. It died. Data recovery is expensive. I shoot mostly film now but would certainly suggest either multiple backups or solid state (no moving parts) backup. Just my personal experience. When I worked my corporate job a lot of resources went to digital asset storage and management (photo and video). Raid servers on site and backup offsite in the 100's of terrabytes. Of course the company had way more money than you or me. By the way, the dead hard drive resides on a shelf in the closet, serving the same purpose as the shoebox full of negatives in grandma's attic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AndyH

AndyH TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree it is not the best way to do it but it seems that in my situation it might be the most practical way using what I already have.

7. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You mean there's no way to add a USB port to your computer?

I've been of the thinking: If your files aren't at three distinct, separate street addresses, they really don't exist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BrentC

Photos OK to edit
    Yes. Or in my case I have my NAS setup to automatically copy the files from my SSD when I plug it into the USB port of my NAS, so I don't need my laptop or a pc to back it up .

Catalogs and images start taking up a lot of space and best to keep off your laptop. The external SSD is more than fast enough that you can work off it. If you want proper backup, my advice is get a NAS that has RAID and backup your files weekly.

Use something like Flickr to upload your edited images so you can access and show people from anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AndyH

AndyH TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That sounds good! What kind of NAS do you have?

10. BrentC

Photos OK to edit

I have a Synology DS412+ with four 2TB drives, 5TB of space. One drive is used as a hot spare in case one of the other fail. I really like the Synology NAS's. Qnap is pretty good too. Or you can go the cheaper route and build your own with an older PC.

• Like Like x 1
  11. zombiesniper

zombiesniper Furtographer Extraordinaire! Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Just to throw one more wrench into this discussion.

You should have 2 on site storage, primary and back up but you should also have one off site. Just incase your house is broken into or burns down you can still back up from the off site storage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Back up the external drive to a cloud. As mentioned, hard drives brick, SSD drives offer no guarantee for reliability other than they don't move. Recently, a friend of mine was editing wedding photos from an external spin drive and it crapped out. He lost them temporarily and the drive is being recovered as I write this, little over $3k and chances are high that all the images will not be recovered according to a recent email update. He only hoping to recover all the recent wedding photos. Regardless, he had over 2 tb of images on there. He is freaking out about it. The sad part is, we had a conversation about this a few months ago and I urged him not to buy the brand he did, and to use Amazon cloud service. He went the cheap route and never got around to doing the cloud thing.