storing photos on an external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by AndyH, Mar 3, 2018.

1. BananaRepublic

BananaRepublic No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Do you mean use the storage space on the wifi router device or do you mean using the internet to save files to a cloud space. Both can be done but they are two different things.
    Yes this what i do. There is a risk that the drive will fail and then you may be goosed. ( I would add that I do not do photography for a living)

This is fine two if you can absorb the costs into the cost of doing business plus its inconvenient.

Can this be done using without your computer memory in the middle.

You could if you use light room store your raw files onto one external and ligthroom catalogues to another. If your house is burning down you just need to grab one.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. AndyH

AndyH TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a Netgear nighthawk router that has a USB port on it. I have an external 1tb Toshiba hard drive attached to it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Backup is NOT as expensive as some think it is.
    I get a 2 or 4 TB external USB drive from Costco. I think the 2TB drive is about $70.
    Then every 3 months I copy ALL my data files to the external drive, and take it to the safety deposit box.
    Now I have a full backup of all my data files (including photos) off-site.
    Note, the 3 months increment is appropriate for ME, and what I do. YOU have to determine the appropriate interval for YOU.

If you have 3 external drives, you rotate among them; #1, #2 and #3.
    So you have multiple copies of the files.

When I do a major activity. I will take additional backups.
    Example, after I upload my nephews wedding pix, I took a backup.
    Then for editing, I took two backups.
    - A backup in the middle of editing. It took me enough editing time at that point that I did not want to have to do it again.
    - Then a second backup after I finished editing.
    So in total, I took 3 backups, for that project.
    This project backup reduced my exposure, rather than waiting for my quarterly backup schedule.

Cloud storage or cloud backup are additional options.

My personal issue with using the cloud for working storage is the upload data transfer rate.
    My upload speed is 6Mb/sec, which is NOT very fast when you have a LOT of file to upload.
    Note this is MegaBITS, not MegaBYTES. There are 8 bits per byte.
    So, a 20 MegaBYTE file would be 160 MegaBITS, and take about 27 seconds to upload, at 6Mb/sec.
    27 seconds x 300 files = 8,100 sec = 135 min = 2hrs 15min. ​
    So before you can do any editing, you have to do this 2 hour upload.
    500 files would take 3 hrs 45 min.​
    I've run my uploads overnight, because it takes a couple to several hours to upload all the pix that I may shoot at a sports event.
    Next, once the file is in the cloud, if I were editing that file then saving the file, the save would take about 27 seconds to run. Not long, but think about it, you have to wait about 30 seconds every time you do a file save when editing photos, compared to the couple seconds it takes you on a local drive. This wait time adds up when working on a lot of files.
    It is for this reason that I prefer to work with local files, either on my PC or on a networked drive.

BTW, you can buy a faster upload speed from your ISP. But, like many things, it comes down to how much $$$ are you willing to spend for that faster upload speed?

Cloud for backup is more tolerable, as the backup would run overnight when you are not on the computer. So you don't really care how long it takes to run. As long as the backup completes by the time you need to use the computer in the morning.
    Obviously the computer needs to be running overnight for the backup to the cloud to run.

4. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Personally, I would go WIRED network connection from the laptop to the NAS. This is presuming that you have GigaBit network connections. 100 base-T/100MegaBit connection should be OK for working on single files.
    Going wireless, your data transfer speed is based on the specific WiFi gear you are using, how far you are from the WiFi router, and anybody else using the same WiFi channel.

The placement of the WiFi router in your house, and where your computer is, is critical. Wall, floors, and other building stuff will attenuate/reduce the signal strength, and slow down the data transfer rate. I have 2 routers in my house, upstairs and downstairs, for that reason. There is so much signal loss that I cannot use the upstairs router when I am downstairs.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018