Story

Digital Matt said:
Congrats Arty! :)

Let me give you a few tips if I can about the 300D.

Don't rely on the LCD picture on the back of the camera to tell if you got a good exposure. It's not accurate. Instead you should set it to show you the histogram. You can set it up in the menu of the camera. I can't recall off hand where it is, but read your instructions and you'll find it. You should also read this website to make sure you understand histograms. It's a graphical representation of the light in your photo, which will help you to get the best exposure.

Also, if I were you I would shoot in manual mode for two reasons. First off, in the 300D, it's the only way you can get center weighted average metering, which is the closest you can get to a spot meter. It measures the light at the center 15% I think. Anyways, this allows you to point the camera at something specific and meter off of it. It's good because you can pick the brightest part of your scene and meter for that, and then you will make sure and not overexpose it.

Another reason to shoot in manual is that it will hep you understand photography better, and allow you to control your depth of field and exposure exactly how you want it.

Good luck, and most of all, have fun and shoot lots!

I was just about to ask where I can learn to understand histograms, and here you've linked us! Thanks!

Artemis said:
(Ok ok I know the story is corny, but...to make this short, I got one now! :D:D)
Hello from a fellow Drebel owner.

Soon, you're gonna be really broke with all the nice lenses you'll want for your cam. (And flashes, filters, grips, batteries... etc)

Very useful link, but it will get u addicted to the L glass :twisted:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

I'm DocFrankenstein there too :D Now you need a card reader to hack your new baby. MLU and all the good stuff...

Cheers. And we have another Nikon to canon convert :twisted:

Sure thing Jeff. That site rocks, and histograms rock :)
If you didn't understand them before, you will after reading that page, and you'll be understand the "levels' command in PS better too ;)

Artemis said:
Well to be honest im not allowed to give out to personal info over the net, although Ill see what I can do, where are you and ill let you know if its close.

Damn!!! A teenager that actually listens to his parents!!! You have given me ray of hope.

Id be no where without my parents matey.
Plus, I dont smoke, drink, be nasty, and never ever skip lessons.

As for you all, thanks for info matt, its really usefull! So nice of you to respond to my post.

And thank you to doc frankenstein, you both really helped, and plus for now on im a manual guy! :p

Artemis said:
Id be no where without my parents matey.
Plus, I dont smoke, drink, be nasty, and never ever skip lessons.

As for you all, thanks for info matt, its really usefull! So nice of you to respond to my post.

And thank you to doc frankenstein, you both really helped, and plus for now on im a manual guy! :p

Good for you, Arty!!! I'm glad to know I wasn't the only teenager that didn't smoke and drink and all that good stuff. But don't let it keep you from still having fun in your teen years!

core_17 said:
Good for you, Arty!!! I'm glad to know I wasn't the only teenager that didn't smoke and drink and all that good stuff. But don't let it keep you from still having fun in your teen years!

Hey, I didn't smoke and drink and do all that good stuff either!...........err wait, yes I did. Nevermind :p

Most reactions

Back