strange glow

if you're referring to his hand in this shot, it's due to a low shutter speed. 1/60 is actually pretty slow. try shooting around 1/125. if you need to, try upping your ISO to accommodate for the low exposure you're likely to have

Looks to me like ghosting due to low shutter speed; this was shot at 1/60 which is fast enough to hand-hold, but not fast enough to freeze all movement.

It's a similar result to dragging the shutter. I.e. using a flash but shooting at a slow shutter speed. In this case the room was bright enough to capture the glow bit with the 1/60th shutter speed, while the flash froze the entire scene at one instance.

Solution:
- turn the shutter speed down and make wonderful artistic use of this effect to really give a sense of motion
- turn the shutter speed up or aperture up and make the ambient light darker and have less effect on the image.
- turn the shutter speed up and aperture down to keep the same light but limit the motion due to shutter speed. This one will cause a decrease in flash power too so longer battery life is nice side effect to have at a big event.

Here's an example of extreme shutter dragging like the previous poster mentions. The ambient light causes the blur around the young man's shirt.

downtownnight-29-Edit.jpg

Canon 40d - $1,300
24-70 2.8 - $1,200

Not knowing what motion blur is?
Priceless :mrgreen:

Hey I'm just learning too and I started with a D100. But I wasn't intent until I got the D300 and the best glass Nikon makes for it. Now I'm shooting every day and improving. I'm even making progress with Capture NX. Until now I had never PP'd a photo.

Yes, it's motion blur. I'd try shutter priority mode, set fast enough to seize the moment and set the ISO to auto and see what the camera decides on for F stop and ISO.

Canon 40d - $1,300
24-70 2.8 - $1,200

Not knowing what motion blur is?
Priceless :mrgreen:

I concur, and an L-series no doubt? I wouldn't dare, personally, offer services like a wedding shoot until I full well knew what the 3 basics of photography were.
Tech Boy said:
Wow BuZzZeRkEr! If i wanted to be made fun of I would go to my 10 year high school reunion naked.
But really, thanx. Not so much for giving your 2 cents, but for taking the time to Post an insult.
And quoting the mastercard commercials? Oh, you are good. How... how did you think on your feet so quick? I am impressed.

I think you should learn to spell "thanks." Just my two cents. ;) It's not an insult to have an opinion, either, tiger. Just chill and read a bit more up on your craft. Obviously you're doing something wrong, that's why you're asking what that ghosting is all about. If you don't realize it's slow shutter speed, then expect that someone's going to laugh because you're using pro-level equipment.

It's like a doctor walking into a clinic and asking what the hell they use a stethoscope for. Har har. Funny.

Lighten up :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back