Strange thing this.

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Back in July our Tulip tree became covered in bloom buds promising a wonderful display. They never opened & now look the same but firm like wood. Took this shot this morning of three buds, the tree is covered in.

P9160003-Edit.jpg

Kind of a bummber because if it's the same tree I am thinking of, the flowers are very beautiful.

They are beautiful trees; the Tulip Poplar is the TN State Tree. It seems like they aren't quite as numerous now as when I was little, but they remain one of my favorite trees.

Ron: I'd find someone local that can help determine the problem--a local nursery, or agricultural extension office (or whatever the Canadian equivalent is)--because you want to make sure it's not a disease that has affected the tree, something that could potentially spread to other trees.

Tulip-tree (Liriodendron tulipifera) is native to the Carolinian forest (CF) which extends to the most southern part of SW Ontario. We live in central ON well outside the boundary of the Carolinian forest. I have planted a few trees as specimens of the CF which are doing well including Kentucky Coffey & Pawpaw.

Here are shots of the blooms on our tree from a previous year.
P1110476-Edit.jpg

P1110474-Edit.jpg

P1110477-Edit.jpg

I got a reply to my inquiry to the U of Guelph:

"
Mr. Evers,
>
> I am not familiar with a specific magnolia disease that will cause magnolia flower buds not to burst, but magnolias, as with other plants, will abort further development if under stress, such as something attacking the roots (which often is not readily visible). Also, abiotic stresses such as frost damage or deep chill after the buds have formed might cause them to stop further development too.
>
> Sorry I couldn't help you further, but you'll just have to see whether flowers come back next year.
>
> -----
>
> Dr. Tom Hsiang, Professor, Environmental Sciences, Bovey 3227
> University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada, N1G 2W1
> tel: +1-519-824-4120 ext. 52753 fax: +1-519-837-0442
> THSIANG HOME PAGE"

Something, possibly a groundhog, burrowed near the base of the tree this summer, so that may be the cause. Whoda thought.

It will grow back with a vengeance next year. He is on to something, check the ground in the area of the tree. If you don't see anything, feel carefully with your feet for soft spots and use a fairly large parameter.

I don't like the looks of those leaves...Do you use a true green or lawn treatment company? Those guys can mess some stuff up. True green killed my lawn last year and almost my birch tree, thank God I found a competent arborist, she saved the tree and proved it was them.

Gorgeous tree and fantastic photos.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It will grow back with a vengeance next year. He is on to something, check the ground in the area of the tree. If you don't see anything, feel carefully with your feet for soft spots and use a fairly large parameter.

I don't like the looks of those leaves...Do you use a true green or lawn treatment company? Those guys can mess some stuff up. True green killed my lawn last year and almost my birch tree, thank God I found a competent arborist, she saved the tree and proved it was them.

Gorgeous tree and fantastic photos.

Gotta agree with jc about the leaves; look at the stark difference between that first photo of your wooden buds and leaves this year, compared to how nice and green and lush the leaves look in the previous year's photo. Definitely something going on with that tree, so if there was no cold snap to explain it, something else has affected it. I really hope it does come back well next year!

Now is the time to get an arborist out there if you don't find anything living under ground. If your strapped for cash, call a local university with an arbor program. I had 12 students and a teacher from MSU fix mine and it was very, very reasonable.

Gotta agree with jc about the leaves; look at the stark difference between that first photo of your wooden buds and leaves this year, compared to how nice and green and lush the leaves look in the previous year's photo. Definitely something going on with that tree, so if there was no cold snap to explain it, something else has affected it. I really hope it does come back well next year!

The difference in the leaves may be attributable to the time of year. The shots of the blooms & lush leaves were shot in June, prime time for the leaves but the shot with the wooden buds was shot the other day, mid September. The tree leaves are now changing to Autumn colours around here so nowhere near prime.

You & JC may have missed my comment after the reply from U of Guelph that something, likely a groundhog, burrowed @ the base of the tree this summer.

BTW, no weed spraying of lawns here in Ontario, herbicides are banned except for golf courses & farmers.

Thanks both for your posts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back