What's new

Strap Alternatives

JLEphoto

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 10, 2009
Messages
153
Reaction score
0
Location
Homestead, FL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tend to have neck issues and I do carry a D200 with added battery grip. The camera alone is pretty heave. What "good" alternatives are out there for staps. Are there any 3 point straps (similar to an AR15 sling)? I have seen a few but it seems that they attach to the tripod adapter. I use a Tri-pod for 90% of my work so that is not an option. What do you use and do you have a link where I could check it out? Thanks in advnace for the help.
 
Might sound weird, but lately I've been going without anything and love it... Otherwise I use a hand strap, doesn't get in the way and it's very comfortable to walk around with.
 
A friend of mine has been using a chest harness. He said it's something normally used by bird watchers to carry binoculars.
 
Setup and Tips » BlackRapid.com Watch the video. I use their RS-5 strap and even with my 70-200 on my D90 I can walk around for hours with no strain on my shoulders and it does not touch my neck.
 
+1 on the R-Strap. It works very well.
 
How can you use the r-strap with a tripod? You would have to take the adapter off every time.... And that is only if it attaches to the tripod plate.
 
People make a big deal about that and I just don't get it. The R-Strap is designed to provide QUICK access to your camera and to allow you to carry it comfortably. If you have one body on a monopod and another on the R-strap with a wide angle lens, you can pop that camera up at a sports event to pop a quick shot and then drop it to go right back to your large lens on the monopod. All the time, you will barely notice the weight of the camera on the R-Strap.

If you are going somewhere to use a tripod, I doubt speed is an issue. Taking the connector off takes about 2 - 3 seconds. If that's too much work, I don't get it. When I go to the studio, I just remove the R-Strap and add a hand strap for the day. I use that and a tripod when needed.

Like I said, people make a big deal out of having to remove the connector on the R-Strap to use a tripod. I just think its about planning and management. Maybe lazy too..
 
How can you use the r-strap with a tripod? You would have to take the adapter off every time.... And that is only if it attaches to the tripod plate.

R-Photographers - Powered by vBulletin I know it's been discussed on their forum but since I'm not bothered by spending a few seconds putting on my tripod plate I have yet to research it.

Out of interest, do you normally walk with your camera on a tripod? Or does whatever you shoot with a tripod require a really quick set up time?
 
Honestly, if I am using a tripod I don't need the strap. Even when I am out in the field I just fold up the tripod and carry it around on my shoulder (camera attached). I never really thought about it that way Cx3....but for the record... I am nowhere near lazy! This is also the first time I have seen the product and I ask the question before I really thought about the answer. Sorry to have gotten your blood pressure up.

Now, if it will attach to the bottom of my tripod plate then it would be simple to remove each time I used the tripod. If not...well it would just be really annoying to have to put the plate on each time. I am willing to do even this if it gets the camera off my neck. Thanks for the help and pointing out the obvious!!
 
Some good ideas on the forum Eco... If I must have both ready within seconds then I just need to buy another QR that fits my plates. Great idea... a little costly but hey, this is photography after all.
 
No Blood pressure issues here. I did not direct my statement at you . I said people make a big deal out of removing the connector. That implies lots of other people. I was saying that people that make a big deal out of taking the connector off might just be lazy. You were asking a question, not making a big deal out of the removal.

Cool?

And yes, you can connect it directly to your tripod plate if you want.
 
Might sound weird, but lately I've been going without anything and love it... Otherwise I use a hand strap, doesn't get in the way and it's very comfortable to walk around with.

Eesh... no strap scares the crap out of me... I'd be terrified of dropping it!

I use a neck strap and/or this wrist strap: SLR Wrist Strap | Demo Page

I've been thinking about this one, though: Grip Strap | Demo Page
 
I use the Mzungu strap. Works great: It keeps the weight off your neck and it doesn't connect to the tripod mount. Plus the camera doesn't hang upside down like with the R-Strap. I can carry my D80 w/grip and attached 80-200 f/2.8 without issues. The carabiner allows you to quickly unhook it if you want to work on a tripod. Although there's plenty of slack so you probably don't even have to unhook it.
 
No strap is best - never have to worry about the strap getting in front of the lens or the flash. I never use any straps on my DSLRs and love it that way. It is soooo freeing.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom