Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
street corner in Florence.

p776717475-4.jpg

Nice work. I really love old buildings and glad the graffitti wasn't obscene. I also like how you got the corner...makes it more interesting.

An unconventional composition that works. I love the color saturation and tonal contrast.

Nice work. I really love old buildings and glad the graffitti wasn't obscene. I also like how you got the corner...makes it more interesting.

Thanks, my Italian is rudimentary so I wasn't certain what the graffiti said. That is a section of Florence with a great many Asian and North African residents so it might not be Italian.

An unconventional composition that works. I love the color saturation and tonal contrast.

Ken, first thanks for the remark on the color and tone. This is one situation where to SOOC image was totally inadequate to show both the shadow and hold the texture in the highlight - which I thought was important. I am working on getting that kind of PPing down pat; it is a little ad hoc now.

re: the composition. Both you and luvmyfamily remarked on it and I'd like to hear why you think it is 'unconventional.'
Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing I just would like to hear someone else's take (besides my own) on why this is interesting.

Thanks again, both of you.

Lew

Unconventional because nothing that seems key to the image is at a thirds point, yet it works by being balanced and having leading lines that make it work.

Do you think that having the bicycle so front and center with the motorcycles around the corner and facing away has some sort of importance?
Again, I'm just trying to figure out why I liked it when I saw it.
Is it some sort of comment?

Do you think that having the bicycle so front and center with the motorcycles around the corner and facing away has some sort of importance?

Hey Traveler, I get the distinct feeling of old vs. new, motorized vs non. It is important, to my eye, that they are facing different directions, as they represent a different way of things. The bicycle just seems to belong in the scene whereas the grafitti and the motorcycles seem like intrusions that unbalance and add tension to the scene. I like it (but I'm a noob).

Again, I'm just trying to figure out why I liked it when I saw it.
Is it some sort of comment?

I hadn't thought about that, but I see what you mean, and perhaps it had a subliminal effect. Of course that's not a pure composition issue and the composition itself seems to me to be one that works.

I dont know Lew. The distortion is giving me a headache a little.

To write a story within a single frame is not everybody's job; you have done that perfectly!!! Lovely image

Regards :D

Thanks. Perhaps it is enjoyable because the story is relatively undefined so each person can fill in some ideas.

Hey Traveler, I get the distinct feeling of old vs. new, motorized vs non. It is important, to my eye, that they are facing different directions, as they represent a different way of things. The bicycle just seems to belong in the scene whereas the grafitti and the motorcycles seem like intrusions that unbalance and add tension to the scene. I like it (but I'm a noob).

Desi,

Self-confessed 'noob' or not, I think you have made a really perceptive point - that the position of things in the frame interacts with the actual content to make a point - even without the viewer (or the photographer) really being conscious of it.
The bicycle is upfront, presented fully and 'important' while the motorcycles are at the side, turned away and less important.

Thanks,

Lew

My eye kind of feels like this is one photo that runs into the edge of another.
The corner with the graffiti and bike and garbage can is one shot, taken just a bit to the right with the sidewalk running off into the distance at your right frame edge..would have been a cool photo.
To make the photo about the old bikes and the new motorcycles, it may have worked better if you had taken 5 steps to your right so you could see down the sidewalk. With the cyles on the right and the bikes on the left and maybe a nice sun star up in the corner.

Woulda coulda shoulda, the photo is nice as is. Just throwing out some ideas.

Most reactions

Back