"Street" photos. CC Please

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
street photography has always interested me but i always chicken out when i go out in fear of getting someone mad. But I have started to overcome that by thinking about the shots I don't take instead of the ones I do. if that makes sense. CC would be appreciated

29b0znl.jpg

2ib2hpe.jpg

35a0x3t.jpg

24y3ioj.jpg

for some reason i like to shoot wide open. I just like the look it gives. but thanks for the input

I like the subject matter of number 3, although I wish it had been shot at a more interesting angle, and horizontally instead of vertically. The trick to street photography is getting in and capturing real life and character around you. You got that 35mm lens, now get up into the subject and capture!

Haha I know what u mean. I have always been afraid to get close to people and take their photo I guess

I also have a few more of that guy but I like that one the most.

I like #3 the best. The old man in his kewl cap mashed in with the canopies almost gives it a timeless what year is really look? But to be honest and not trying to be negative. Cuz at least your using this site in a positive manner. "actually doing something photography related" But. Cant you find something more interesting to shoot. Also I would have liked to see them in color. With a hi aperture setting, the clouds and color of the sky could have been adjusted in lightroom. To really give it the blue and white look. This may sound stupid but you have those puffy clouds instead of overcast or no clouds. I know it sounds retarded and I wish I had a sample of what I was talking about. But you have a good skyline that probably could have been enhanced in lightroom or PS and looked pretty kewl.

Dont be afraid to ask someone if its ok to take their photo. It probably would have been the most exciting thing to happen to the old timer since his 50th B-day. Just lie, say its for a course and you need it for a grade.

To me, nothing is more interesting than people. And where I live is the most boring place on earth. Also, I find black and white give street shots more feel to it. The sky was blue and had white puffy clouds but that's not what I wanted to focus on lol. But thank you for your input

Hahaha yes it is really scary. You just gotta relax and calm down and focus I guess. Be confident and know that most people don't freak out on you anyway.

"street" is maybe the hardest niche of all in photography. The photographer stalks his chosen environment where, essentially, nothing is happening - people are quietly going about their business - and yet has to select tiny moments when an image can be snatched which is more than the sum of its parts - fractions of a second often, where some fleeting coincidence of expression, gesture, positioning, and movement come together to create an instant which holds some undefinable meaning. "

The point isn't to sneak up on someone or to get a shot without him/her seeing, it is to capture an instant of life.
These shots aren't telling me anything.
Walk up and talk to the guy; tell him a story. Ask if you can take his picture. Take lots until he relaxes.

I am shameless about that.

Lew

Altogether, they look a little "soft" to me. You have stated that you like to shoot wide-open and it is, therefore, possible that your lens is not at its best wide-open. Classic rule-of-thumb is to try your lens 2 full stops down from wide open. Failing that, try the standards of f/8 or f/11, as most lenses perform well at those apertures.

Aside from the above, they are likeable photos. Lots good to say about them and your composition.

#1 is way to busy, no clear subject and the shallow DoF definitely does not work. I'd say try it again on a cleaner looking street, with a subject in mind.

#2 #3 #4 - this is supposed to be candid street photography....you need to get the faces of your subject to get the proper emotion. I understand you may feel awkward but to accomplish the task of taking a street photo with meaning, you need that intimate emotion.

for some reason i like to shoot wide open.
There are situations/scenes a shallow DOF is appropriate, and situations where it isn't. For the first few in your un-numbered series here, shallow DOF makes them look like you goofed them up.

Plus, few lenses perform well wide open.

Your B&W conversions lack mid-tone contrast making them look pretty flat.

Looks like you had a couple of situations some fill light would have really made things 'pop'.

Not to mention that I feel like my head is tilted to one side. Straighten out the horizon and align things like the sides of buildings to the frame.

Most reactions

Back