Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
#1 Woman relaxing other woman - f/4.0 - 1/200s - iso 80 - 29.5mm
DSC03711nicksis.JPG

#2 Man Messenger Skater - f/4.5 - 1/200s - iso 100 - 97.9mm
DSC_1099DTLAN.JPG

I give up, I suck at this... I am trying to create a painting on a flash card. I have to burn this thing (d3300) that is driving me insane. I can not focus for poop.,

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I like the first shot. It looks like you really caught them by surprise. It's a bit to grey for me. I would say adjust the colors inside your black and white panel in photoshop, raw, or what ever your using.

The second one is interesting in that he looks like he has never seen a camera before. You don't always get the chance to set a shot up exactly how'd you'd like to and I know that from experience working as a sports photographer at my college paper. That being said I wish I could see his feet and the skateboard (assuming there is one from the photo description) with just a little blur to show the motion. Versus how it is above if I didn't know he was a skater I would assume he is either peaking around the corner or has an odd walk.

All in all they are great street shots. This is one of my favorite kinds of photography. You capture the real world.

Sent via Tapatalk. Please excuse any typos.

I like the first shot. It looks like you really caught them by surprise. It's a bit to grey for me. I would say adjust the colors inside your black and white panel in photoshop, raw, or what ever your using.

The second one is interesting in that he looks like he has never seen a camera before. You don't always get the chance to set a shot up exactly how'd you'd like to and I know that from experience working as a sports photographer at my college paper. That being said I wish I could see his feet and the skateboard (assuming there is one from the photo description) with just a little blur to show the motion. Versus how it is above if I didn't know he was a skater I would assume he is either peaking around the corner or has an odd walk.

All in all they are great street shots. This is one of my favorite kinds of photography. You capture the real world.

Thanks for the comments. I will try what you say on #1.

#2 Skater as in roller blades. He came by so quickly I just pointed the camera, it was sitting on table on outside platform, and pressed the Shutter. Never looked in viewfinder. I cropped it a little to get the edge of my coffee cup out of it. I used to be able to do that all the time with my Yashica 35 Electro (zone focused) or my point and shoot Canon S90. I got good at it. This camera is so new, I do not have a feel for it yet but I did get lucky on this one for the most part. If I would have drawn the zoom back in prior to sitting down, I would have captured all of him.

For it being a blind shot it's great. I'm a photo and journo a list major. So I learned how to do a blind shot so people don't see the camera actively being used. It's hard but useful. Congrats on the shot.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be a jerk but, tell me, what is interesting, odd, insightful or exciting that caused you to take either of these shots?
What are we supposed to get out of it?
What should we think about?
That's what street photography is - and it is very difficult.

IMO, the first should have been shot in portrait mode. All the lines are vertical and leaving all that extra space just lets all the tension drain out of the image.
Shot vertically, the top subject is at the thirds and,while touching her, is looking away, detached, from the other person. You need to put the strong parts on the important places so people can make a story.
In landscape, you've chopped off the woman at the left and made her appear unimportant. With more of her, she becomes important in the frame.
Then there would be two people in the frame, the other person is touching her but looking away and thus the tension between them makes a sort of story.
I

massage.jpg

The second one is, imo, trimmed way too loosely.
Why all that space on the top and right? It doesn't contribute - and it isn't balancing anything.
Why is the window tilted? You left it that way so, to the viewe, there must be a reason.
What are we to get from this picture?
The picture itself needs to carry the story - and I'm not getting it.

skater2.jpg

I give up, I suck at this... I am trying to create a painting on a flash card. I have to burn this thing (d3300) that is driving me insane. I can not focus for poop.,

That's crap.
You have the technical stuff down.
Now you have to be reflective, to understand what attracts you to take a picture and then frame the picture so that it tells or suggests or makes a story.
Manual drawing skills aside, this is much harder than painting because you have a second to see, understand and compose.

Maybe you will be terrible.
Maybe you'll never be able to shake those ideas from your unconscious into your fingers but that's the way it is.
You'll bat 00001 for a while and then eventually, when conditions and situations are right, you'll bat .05 and be really, really happy about it.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be a jerk but, tell me, what is interesting, odd, insightful or exciting that caused you to take either of these shots?
What are we supposed to get out of it?
What should we think about?
That's what street photography is - and it is very difficult.

IMO, the first should have been shot in portrait mode. All the lines are vertical and leaving all that extra space just lets all the tension drain out of the image.
Shot vertically, the top subject is at the thirds and,while touching her, is looking away, detached, from the other person. You need to put the strong parts on the important places so people can make a story.
In landscape, you've chopped off the woman at the left and made her appear unimportant. With more of her, she becomes important in the frame.
Then there would be two people in the frame, the other person is touching her but looking away and thus the tension between them makes a sort of story.
I

View attachment 109379

The second one is, imo, trimmed way too loosely.
Why all that space on the top and right? It doesn't contribute - and it isn't balancing anything.
Why is the window tilted? You left it that way so, to the viewe, there must be a reason.
What are we to get from this picture?
The picture itself needs to carry the story - and I'm not getting it.

View attachment 109381
Well, I'm new at it from a photography standpoint which is why I posted them. To get feedback like yours. I have been taking pictures for years but not for photography but as reference for painting. Light, composition, settings were never a goal. Now I want to learn the art of photography.

That's crap.
You have the technical stuff down.
Now you have to be reflective, to understand what attracts you to take a picture and then frame the picture so that it tells or suggests or makes a story.
Manual drawing skills aside, this is much harder than painting because you have a second to see, understand and compose.

Maybe you will be terrible.
Maybe you'll never be able to shake those ideas from your unconscious into your fingers but that's the way it is.
You'll bat 00001 for a while and then eventually, when conditions and situations are right, you'll bat .05 and be really, really happy about it.
It may be crap, but what you're reading is just pure frustration. I will get good at it I can guarantee you that. It just doesn't come naturally to me as it does on canvas and working with my brush. I know you're correct in your description of what am I trying to say, that's the frustration part I can not put the two together at this time

You can see that what will eventually be a look into another world is only successfull when the parts are put together with some understanding of how viewers see and react.
The picture and its parts need to be composed so that viewers will absorb and understand what they should be looking at and what you saw.
One internalizes those 'rules' or 'understandings' over a period of time, like shooting baskets, until your subconscious understands what is sees and where you need to be and how you need to frame and compose.
When you get that facile, you will find yourself at the right spot and the pictures will be easier.
Never easy, but easier.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back