strobe softboxes with speedlight - adapter

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone tried this adapter ==> Flashpoint Universal Softbox Adapter for Shoe-Mount Flash FASRSHO

I've had a couple of softboxes that I've always wanted to get - the tall thin ones but those always require a strobe adapter. Of course, I don't know if a speedlight would be able to light the entire thing but this adapter would seem to allow a transition from speedlights to the larger diffuser options of strobes, without having to initally buy strobes.

I've never considered that, but one thing to keep in mind is that speedlights do not have the same power as a plug-in studio strobe. You might want to do the math on how much difference there is to see if you want to try that.

BTW: You can buy a studio strobe for $49.95, about twice as much as that adapter.

Speedlights have plenty of power for portraiture. This is a single SB800 at 1/4 power (IIRC) driving a 50" Westcott softbox.
Eva%20%282%29.jpg

Has anyone tried this adapter ==> Flashpoint Universal Softbox Adapter for Shoe-Mount Flash FASRSHO

I've had a couple of softboxes that I've always wanted to get - the tall thin ones but those always require a strobe adapter. Of course, I don't know if a speedlight would be able to light the entire thing but this adapter would seem to allow a transition from speedlights to the larger diffuser options of strobes, without having to initally buy strobes.
Multiple answers:

1. I haven't tried exactly that mount but do have a soft box and mount that is very similar. I also have a couple of mounts that differ from that in terms of the connection but the same principle--they clamp on a speed light rather than a strobe.

2. I have 4 soft boxes/umbrella soft boxes (light goes inside the umbrella but it's covered like a speed light and I can either bounce off the inside of the umbrella or the flat cover like a soft box) and I use speed lights with all of them. I'm very happy with the results I get for portraiture and the work I shoot. I don't expect the speed lights to match the power and firing frequency of professional strobes. OTOH, I fly with 2-3 speed lights in my carry-on baggage all the time. So speed lights are what I've chosen and I'm fine with 'em. If most of my work was in a studio, I might go in a different direction but that's not the case for me.

I've never considered that, but one thing to keep in mind is that speedlights do not have the same power as a plug-in studio strobe. You might want to do the math on how much difference there is to see if you want to try that.

BTW: You can buy a studio strobe for $49.95, about twice as much as that adapter.

Yes, i've looked at the economies of it all. I also have a small home studio which is also the kids play area. And little room for storage. So the bulk of a strobe head has to be taken into consideration too. Of course those adapters (and diffusers) take space too. Also, when I go strobe I want to get a strobe that will last me forever with modeling lights, maybe cooling fans, etc. I'm still undecisive on which ones, when etc. It's just I want to start playing with some diffusers and all of them require the strobe adapter. I figured, this is a good first step towards that.

my current diffusers consist of
shoot thru umbrellas
bounce umbrellas
brolly (Joe, I assume like your umbrella with a cover ==> Amazon.com : PBL 43" Photo Softbox Umbrella Reflective Steve Kaeser Photographic Lighting : Shoot Through Umbrella : Camera & Photo )

a couple small 23cm x 23cm diffusers

but I really want to start experimenting will taller thinner ones .. as I want to control spillover light alot more.
I've toyed with covering the brolly's with strips of cloth on either side. .. but they're not tall enough, though I could use 2 vertically.
Thus my reasoning on certain diffusers which require certain adapters.

but it's good to know John is using 50" with SB800s ... my same speedlight.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back