Strobed Big Blue

indeedies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went out to the park to practice some strobe stuff. I've done this in a make shift studio in the house but was a little inspired by Zach Arias and his one light techniques. Thought I would give it a shot.

SB600 full power shooting through an umbrella high camera left. ISO 100, 1/200 sec, f/7.1. Was using the D90 to sync to flash with Sigma 24-70 f/2.8-4.0. Any advice to help me improve would be greatly appreciated.

A concern I have is the SB600 may not be enough power if there was more sun. If that was the case I would need a smaller aperture requiring more light. When I tried this with the 70-200 2.8 I would slow the shutter but then camera shake would be seen in the image. Thus the 24-70.

I'm sticking with the SB600 regardless but is this strobe significantly less powerful than the SB900 or even SB800?

4410126980_19c548801d_b.jpg

If you are trying for relief of the shadows, you may have only been partially successful. I do like the color though.

I would be careful of taking a stuffed animal to a public park and photographing it these days...:mrgreen:

If you are trying for relief of the shadows, you may have only been partially successful. I do like the color though.

I would be careful of taking a stuffed animal to a public park and photographing it these days...:mrgreen:

You're definitely right about the stuffed animal in the park. This is when everyone was getting off work and taking their children to the park. Kids would run up to me wanting to pet the monkey and parents were running after them trying to stop them lol. I had all this gear and thought it would be obvious I was just practicing but this is the world we live in today lol. As far as the picture I was just trying to play with the ambient and flash at the same time. What's relief of shadows? Is there a link you can point me too?

Thanks,
Shawn

You know, pblarge's comment made me stop and think...I thought it was sort of a joke about what he said, but you know, people probably would have thought better of you if you'd arrived there at the park with some scantily-clad model teetering on high heels than with a large, colorful stuffed animal and an armload of photo gear. This is indeed a sad world in which we live in. And in answer to the question, yes, the SB600 is somewhat lower in power than the SB800 or 900 models.

At the 35mm setting the SB 600's GN is 98 in feet, at ISO 100

At the 35mm setting the SB 800's GN is 125 in feet, at ISO 100

At the 35mm setting the SB 900's GN is 131 in feet, at ISO 100

Soooo, that's about 2/3 of a stop lower in power for the SB 600.

A sliver lined umbrella is not always the answer, as for some, the white is more pleasing.

However..... silver lined can add 1/2 to 1 stop, depending on light source. If you need the power you really have no choice at times than to swtich from shooting through the umbrella, and shooting into silver lined. Unless of course, there are no budget or equipment constraints, then more equipment, more lights...

I know what everyone means about the park and this day and age. The folks at the park probably thought you were shooting for an add or something. All those folks are probably wondering when they'll see the gorilla in some TV add or magazine add for the next drug or vitamin commercial. :)

Thanks Derrel. It's funny though. Everytime you reply to one of my threads I have about 4 new questions lol. Researching your technical stuff makes me an even stronger photographer...Sometimes ;)

And I was thinking of a silver lined umbrella. of course I always think of certain gear that I don't have lol. I will be purchasing a better umbrella in a few days.

Thanks for the comments guys,

Shawn

Most reactions

Back