Stuck with Manfrotto Tripod

JCD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I'm stuck with a very strong tri-pod from Manfrotto model 190XV :thumbup:. The problem here is that both my regular digital camera (Samung SL30) and my camcorder (Sony Handy Cam) tri-pod hole mount is to small for the Manfrotto tri-pod. I was thinking for a solution and I thought of getting an adapter for the Manfrotto tri-pod. I was looking around on Amazon and I saw this:
Amazon.com: Manfrotto 804RC2 Basic Pan Tilt Head with Quick Release Plate 200PL-14 - Replaces 3047 (Black): Electronics.

The question will the adapter fit my camera and the tri-pod. Thanks for your help.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello,

I'm stuck with a very strong tri-pod from Manfrotto model 190XV :thumbup:. The problem here is that both my regular digital camera (Samung SL30) and my camcorder (Sony Handy Cam) tri-pod hole mount is to small for the Manfrotto tri-pod. I was thinking for a solution and I thought of getting an adapter for the Manfrotto tri-pod. I was looking around on Amazon and I saw this:
Amazon.com: Manfrotto 804RC2 Basic Pan Tilt Head with Quick Release Plate 200PL-14 - Replaces 3047 (Black): Electronics.

The question will the adapter fit my camera and the tri-pod. Thanks for your help.

What head to do you have on the tripod right now? It almost sounds like you're trying to attach the camera/camcorder directly to the legs.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The tripod has 3/8" threads whereas the cameras have a/4" threads. Most tripod heads will have 3/8" threads and include an adapter to go to 1/4" threads. The specs for that one state that is has 3/8" threads on the bottom and 1/4" on top so it should work.

the head isn't an adapter really. It is what is supposed to mount to your tripod. You screw a small plate that comes with the head to the bottom of your camera. That plate then locks into the head but can be released for offhand shooting.

To JG_Coleman:
It does not have a head to it. It just has a sliver plate with the screw on it. Just as shown in picture. $Manfrotto_190XV_VIEW_ALU_TRIPOD_sm.jpg

To Scraig: I've tried screwing the cameras to the tri-pod but it does not fit.

Thanks Again

It does not have a head to it. It just has a sliver plate with the screw on it. Just as shown in picture. View attachment 11731

Thanks Again

That will have a 3/8" machine thread, which is used to attach a head to. The head is what will attach to your gear.

What you have is a set of tripod legs; that's only half the equation. The camera is NOT meant to attach directly to the legs; you need a head attached to them, and to that you will attach your camera via the standard 1/4-20NC screw.

Okay. Remember that I have a digtal simple camera, will the head that I saw on Amazon fit my simple SL30 and Sony Handycam camcoder? The link of the head is in the first my first post. I just want to be sure before I buy the head. BTW I'm not familar with a high level of photography, tri-pod and etc. Thanks for your help!

I think even the basic, lo-end cameras have a 1/4x20 thread on 'em.

I'm sure Sparky is correct, but why not check the manuals for your devices? They should tell you somewhere (in the specs?) what the diameter of that thread is. If you don't have the manuals you can probably find them online.

I think even the basic, lo-end cameras have a 1/4x20 thread on 'em.

Yeah... I can't even think of the last time I saw camera or camcorder that didn't use the standard 1/4x20 UNC thread. Higher-end stuff apparently uses 3/8-16 UNC from what I've read, but I don't think they figure prominently in the ordinary consumer market.

@ JCD: From D-SLRs that cost thousands to point-and-shoots that cost $50, the tripod head screw thread is pretty much always the same standard: 1/4x20 UNC. Same goes for HandyCams and the like, too. For the most part, just about any tripod head you find will work with your camera and camcorder. The tripod head screw thread pattern is so standardized that you could practically choose one at random with your eyes closed and be pretty sure that it'll work with your gear. Obviously, you shouldn't choose one blindly... I'm just trying to put into perspective just how truly ubiquitous the standard 1/4x20 UNC thread really is.

Okay, You guys actually convinced me. You guys are great. Thanks for your help.

Heck, my light meter has a 1/4x20 thread. The base that came with my speedlight has a 1/4x20 thread.

Even non-photographic equipment comes with 1/4x20 thread.... my IR thermometer for one.

Lot's of people would love to be "stuck" with manfrotto legs ;). I love mine!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back